Buying a boat in the US

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Resorting to infantile swearing. Lost the argument matey. Also have you read the rules about what is permissible to be discussed here?
LOL ... er nope. I apologise for the swearing, but it is exasperating to argue against slogans and soundbites when the poster can't be bothered to support their opinion with evidence or logic. Have a nice evening and perhaps read the Norhavn article. You never know, you might learn something and that is the purpose of these forums is it not. (y) ;)

Sea Change

Visit site
Revisiting this question.
Just trying to get my facts straight. If I bought a boat outside the EU or UK, as a UK resident I can enter the EU and remain there for eighteen months, yes?
And I then have to simply sail in to international waters to reset the eighteen months?
Or do I have to enter a different country to reset?

My thinking is... I could sail into Ireland and keep the boat there for a while, until I headed off on my next adventure.

Anybody know of a cheap boatyard in Ireland...?

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Revisiting this question.
Just trying to get my facts straight. If I bought a boat outside the EU or UK, as a UK resident I can enter the EU and remain there for eighteen months, yes?
And I then have to simply sail in to international waters to reset the eighteen months?
Or do I have to enter a different country to reset?

My thinking is... I could sail into Ireland and keep the boat there for a while, until I headed off on my next adventure.

Anybody know of a cheap boatyard in Ireland...?
As a UK resident, you can buy a boat anywhere and sail it in the EU without any problems.

If you buy it in the EU without VAT (e.g. an ex-charter boat), you can do a quick export from the EU and then immediately re.enter under Temporary Admission (TA) for 18 months. You must then leave and re.enter every 18 months. The process of leaving and re-entering can be done on the same day.

If you buy a VAT paid EU boat (union goods status) you can keep it in the EU permanently and will have no problem selling it on.

If you buy it outside the EU (e.g. US) then you can sail it to the EU and enter under TA too. The only issue will be selling it as the new owner either has to be a non.EU resident like you, or they have to import it, which will be difficult and expensive if it is not CE marked - and even then they may have issues with engine emission compliance.

If you buy a boat in the UK you can sail it to the EU and use TA, regardless of UK VAT status,

As a UK resident, you only have a problem if you bring a boat to the UK as you can't use TA and have to import the boat.