Buy a Motor Boat in Italy

Swordfish

Visit site
Good morning all, I am considering the purchase of a 38' motor boat currently located in Reggio Calabria, Southern Italy. What is the normal process used to buy such a boat which is currently owned / registered in Italy. I would register this boat on SSR, and take it to Greece upon purchase.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hurricane

Visit site
Is it VAT paid?
Not a problem these days but you would need to know.
I assume that you are a British national.
If it has VAT paid, you should get/keep any evidence of where it was on the 1st January this year.
AFAIK, you can buy an EU VAT paid boat and keep it in the EU - it must not leave EU waters for more than 3 years or it will attract VAT on its return.
If it is not a VAT paid boat, as a British (non EU) national, you can keep a non VAT paid boat in the EU for 18 months after which it must leavd the EU or have VAT paid on it.
If it leaves the EU it can immediately return and start another 18 months (the TA rule)

So, your idea to keep it in Greece sounds a good plan either way.

Swordfish

Visit site
Thank you Hurricane, I am a British National, and have a Greek residency card. The boat is advertised as Tax Paid

Portofino

Visit site
The very fact it’s on the Italian reg owned by a private individual ( ie not a company charter boat ) means it’s VAT paid .
Think U.K. cars the V5 , reflect exactly what that doc tells you .No not the kg unladen weight etc , but for Swansea to have issued that via the registering first dealer / importer it’s gotta have all taxes , car tax , VAT or what ever paid .
So when you sell / buy a U.K. car and the V 5 is passed on with its tear off slip , although nowadays online , does anyone ever pipe up and blurt out “ is it VAT paid “:er Nope !

The IT boat doc is actually a blue book with all the BS inc weight , hp , L etc etc and name of owner , address port of reg etc .

This need to be they call it “ irradiation of the flag “ sent back to the reg port for de reg before you go online and do the SSR bit .
In the mean time the broker issues via a port office a temp cover note if you like .
Keep copies of the original blue book .
Once “irradiated “ you can hair dryer off the decals and SSR it put yours on the stern .

Broker fee is part paid by both parties your is entirely negotiable , brown envelopes with cash tends to slash prices esp the further S you go ;) .
All straight Fwds and remember at the end of the day you have a copy of the blue book , in U.K. car terminology the V5 .
The temp transfer doc and the irradiation cert .

Hope this helps .

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thank you Hurricane, I am a British National, and have a Greek residency card. The boat is advertised as Tax Paid
If it's VAT paid then no issues but if not please note it is residency rather than nationality which determines whether you could avail of temporary importation.

MapisM

Visit site
This need to be they call it “ irradiation of the flag “
Forgive me if I can't resist the temptation to correct your English :p, but knowing that you are referring to the Italian "radiazione", I think it should rather be translated as "cancellation".
Besides, while you might have heard even some Italian mentioning "radiazione di bandiera", actually there's no such thing as a cancellation of the FLAG.
The cancellation ("radiazione") process is referred to the Italian REGISTER, not to the flag.

Portofino

Visit site
Forgive me if I can't resist the temptation to correct your English :p, but knowing that you are referring to the Italian "radiazione", I think it should rather be translated as "cancellation".
Besides, while you might have heard even some Italian mentioning "radiazione di bandiera", actually there's no such thing as a cancellation of the FLAG.
The cancellation ("radiazione") process is referred to the Italian REGISTER, not to the flag.
The pronunciation comes across as “irradiation “ they seem to and Eng ear pronounce the R with a big hint of I in front When I first heard it I had visions of placing U235 rods and Geiger counters .
I knew it wasn’t the radioactivity stuff and just a amusing coincidence.

My Broker did indeed talk about cancellation of the flag , Used IT “ Radiazione and Eng Flag in the same sentence.
This might be because iam not an IT citizen and wanted it under a red duster anyhow .

All over a boozy lunch btw .
I though giggling over translation was school boy stuff with German Farter for Father . :D Apparently not .

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
Broker fee is part paid by both parties your is entirely negotiable , brown envelopes with cash tends to slash prices esp the further S you go ;) .
All straight Fwds and remember at the end of the day you have a copy of the blue book , in U.K. car terminology the V5 .
The temp transfer doc and the irradiation cert .

Hope this helps .
Can't get much further south on the mainland than Reggio Calabria! :p Right in the toe of the ?

MapisM

Visit site
The pronunciation comes across as “irradiation “ they seem to and Eng ear
Can't argue with what comes across to EN ears, but I suspect you might have heard the term pronounced by someone whose Italian could be better... :ROFLMAO:

Portofino

Visit site
Can't argue with what comes across to EN ears, but I suspect you might have heard the term pronounced by someone whose Italian could be better... :ROFLMAO:
A guy from Naples who seemed everyone we met was relative .
What is the atomic radiation word out interest ?
Say I have sent the flag to Chernobyl to be irradiated .

Portofino

Visit site
Thank you all for your help.
Make enquiries how much legitimate cash in € your party can carry when it comes to hand over day .
Before the del trip I asked the broker for it to be brimmed with fuel .This was 11 pm after a boozy meal on board .
We wanted a pre dawn start , not waiting for fuel pontoons to open = lost time .Me , my mate who is a doppelgänger for Vinnie Jones , the broker and a hired Sardinian delivery lad about 1/2 my age .
Broker gets on his mob .Another cousin turns up with a Piaggio 3 wheeler bowser and drives up the pontoon .
Starts to fill up .
2x 700 + 1 x 600 ( extra long range tank option fitted ) I notice the price € 1.70 / L back in 2014 .

All done get my card out , “ it’s €1 / L for cash “
Oh ok , so I dive into the cabin and find nearly 2K in cash .
This is after the broker got his brown envelope for my side of the brokerage fee .A 50 % reduction.

They will open up more once you are committed on side so to speak .
You just gotta roll with it really .

Swordfish

Visit site
Make enquiries how much legitimate cash in € your party can carry when it comes to hand over day .
Before the del trip I asked the broker for it to be brimmed with fuel .This was 11 pm after a boozy meal on board .
We wanted a pre dawn start , not waiting for fuel pontoons to open = lost time .Me , my mate who is a doppelgänger for Vinnie Jones , the broker and a hired Sardinian delivery lad about 1/2 my age .
Broker gets on his mob .Another cousin turns up with a Piaggio 3 wheeler bowser and drives up the pontoon .
Starts to fill up .
2x 700 + 1 x 600 ( extra long range tank option fitted ) I notice the price € 1.70 / L back in 2014 .

All done get my card out , “ it’s €1 / L for cash “
Oh ok , so I dive into the cabin and find nearly 2K in cash .
This is after the broker got his brown envelope for my side of the brokerage fee .A 50 % reduction.

They will open up more once you are committed on side so to speak .
You just gotta roll with it really .
Oh yes, I understand ;)

MapisM

Visit site
A guy from Naples who seemed everyone we met was relative .
What is the atomic radiation word out interest ?
Say I have sent the flag to Chernobyl to be irradiated.
"Radiazione" can either mean cancellation or irradiation, depending on the contest.
But as a verb, "radiare" only means cancel (or expel, possibly), and the best IT translation for your sentence would be "ho mandato la bandiera a Chernobyl per esporla alle radiazioni", i.e. to be exposed to radiations.
If you should really use only a verb, the formally correct one would be "irradiare" and not "radiare" in that context, but no Italian would normally use it.

The guy from Naples could well give you a radically different explanation, depending on his mood and the way the wind blows.
But in your boots I'd trust him for spaghetti with essence of anchovies and other delicacies, rather than IT grammar... :giggle: