burial

OldBawley

Visit site
Burial.

Imagine.
Liveaboard from GB or Holland dies of hart failure while cruising Greece.
Is there a possibility to have that person buried in Greece ?
Does anyone know what or how ?

The “normal” procedure would be to fly the body back home. But I don´t have a home, don't have an address. I have a passport, am registered as “Left the country “

Anyway, cost for transport of a body are enormous, and furthermore, I would prefer to be buried in Greece, not in that wet cold dirt back North.

Just wondering.

Retired in Crete

Visit site
Several of my departed friends are buried in Crete but I have no idea of the cost. To be buried in Greece (you cannot be cremated as against church rules) you have 2 options. You either buy a grave for permanent residence, or rent one, usually for 2 years, after which the relatives dig you up, wash the bones and put them in the ossuary of the local church and the grave is used again.

In 2010 the cost of transporting a body back to the UK was 4,000 Euros. This included an ornate zinc lined coffin (only 200 Euros!), embalming (compulsory) and flying the body to the UK and all paperwork, certificates etc.

Hope this helps

John

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
Asked a bit around in town this morning.
Even in the dimos ( Town hall ) nobody knew for sure. Someone there said she thought the deceased had to be living ( renting ? ) in the municipality for five years before a burial in town could take place.
Someone else who earns a living arranging burials said he could “Arrange” a burial. Anything is possible. You know, wink wink.
I know of a Belgian sailor owning a house on Hydra who had his mother buried on Hydra when she died whilst on visit at his place. However, this guy is an “arranger” ( diplomat ) by profession what makes things run smoother.

I had an acquaintance who donated his body to science ( Belgium )
Would such a donation be possible in Greece ? Not that I think my dead body will be very interesting but maybe because of the orthodox religion, body´s are scarce in Greece.

Transporting the body back, but to where?
I was born in Belgium. Lived and worked there for 35 years, then changed nationality to Dutch, lived and worked there for 25 years.
Some computer program at the municipality found out I was travelling ( cruising ) more than I was in Holland, a link was laid and I was officially declared “ Left the country “

To be honest, I coud´t care less, but now..... what do I do with my body ?

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
My son had to arrange the burial of his father in law, lots of problems, then asked me to take measures to facilitate things if something happened to me.
I never reflected on my own departure but have been thinking a lot about what to do with the boat when I get sick.
Our boat is a small very old wooden relict. I love the boat dearly, we travelled and “Lived” together for 29 years now. Buckets of the boats wood dust must have gone trough my lungs. I made a fine home from it,without changing the classic look.
Once, when I was at the end of my wits, the boat carried on all by itself, brought us to a safe place.
When the boat was build, it had sail nr 4. Was big. Now it is considered to small to sail the sea if you believe what is told on most forums and sailing books.
If I become sick, I could not even give away the boat. Monetary value zero.
Some people sure would like to have the boat, the one that can, and is willing to do the maintenance ? Hard to find I guess.
The boat has never been an investment, It was more a love thing. So no big loss.
My son is not interested, costs to bring the boat back North would be big.
Seen a lot of wooden carcasses on small boatyards crumpling away under this infernal Med sun, I don´t want that for my boat, so yes, a sea burial it will be.

Davy_S

Visit site
Watch it, is Athens in the US.
Sorry! my mistake. I had heard that a new crematorium had been approved in Athens, I simply clicked on the link before putting my brain in gear! I do know that people could be cremated in Bulgaria, but Athens had dragged their feet regarding a crematorium.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
A friend of ours died a few years back on his boat in Gouvia. He was buried in the British Cemetery in Corfu within a couple of days of death (as is the Greek practice). AFAIK there were no problems in arranging this. Corfu is not unique in having a cemetery for foreigners: there's one on Kephalonia that I know of and there may be others.

Davy_S

Visit site
The only cemetery I know of on Kefalonia is the British one near the Drapano bridge, but I thought that was for the British servicemen from the war, the other is the Italian cemetery in Argostoly. I have never heard of another one, simply curious that's all.

Davy_S

Visit site
Hi Grafozz, would that be the cemetery near the bridge that I mentioned?
gates.jpg

nauticalnomad

Visit site
Check the internet for a Greek branch of (INABODY) International Necrophilia Association Body Organised Disposed Yearned .. They may be able to sort something out for free for you. Sort of similar to donating your body to science ..

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Just get someone to wrap you up in and old sail and slide you overboard. Oh and remind to put the last stitch through the nose to make sure you are just not asleep.

NOHOH

Visit site
This has the makings of a brand new Dieaboard Forum...... with practical do-it-yourself tips for singlehanders maybe? Praps it could also be called the Scuttleboat Forum?

Ok... I`ll get my coat.

pelissima

Visit site
I just read your last post and my heart returned to its place.
In fact I thought about your 2 probs a lot and finally I think I have two propositions for the 2 issues you raised. The good one is for the boat. My wife is pulling me to pack up and drive for Volos then to Milies in mount Pilion. Once I settle down the next days I will pm. Anyway there is no rush. Rgds

OldBawley

Visit site
Thanks, have a safe trip.

I was already hoping you would answer.
Indeed no hurry, I intend to live ( aboard ) as long as possible. Most of my relatives added 30 years to my age.
The boat, he will long survive me if kept sailing.