Bunnahabhain

CFarr

Me: Well inland. Boat: Bellanoch, Crinan Canal
Visit site
Just after some advice for stopping off at the distillery please - possibly overnight but that will depend on tide/wind at the time.
I've heard nasty tales of tying up on their jetty.
Is it best to anchor just off the pier or at the North end of the bay?
I assume it's a no-no if a N or NE

Thanks

FullCircle

Visit site
Why not just pick up the Laphroaig visitor buoy and have a grand tour of walking to the distilleries?
Bunnahabhain was not one of the prettiest, but I haven't been in quite a while. I stayed at the Port Askaig hotel, which is recommended (I know, you have boat!)

bikedaft

Visit site
we anchored off many years ago (when the wreck was recent!) i think just waiting for the tide. distillery was all shut up, no one about, and my Dad was even thistier by the time we got back on board...

agurney

agurney.com
http://sailing.agurney.com/list-of-anchorages/bunnahabhain
The two anchorages on the map are from my GPS.

Just after some advice for stopping off at the distillery please - possibly overnight but that will depend on tide/wind at the time.
I've heard nasty tales of tying up on their jetty.
Is it best to anchor just off the pier or at the North end of the bay?
I assume it's a no-no if a N or NE

Thanks

MM5AHO

Visit site
I've anchored overnight there several times, once when running away from high winds that had prevented me rounding Islay to the west.
I don't think it'd be much good in North winds, but quite pleasant in anything with south in. I anchored about half way between Agurneys anchor mark and the pier. I would not think of using he pier for a night.
I've anchored further north just to the east of the lighthouse too, but only for a day and in almost calm slightly westerly.
The distillery has seemed deserted everytime, but surely someone must work there occasionally?