Bukh DV 20 Engine Oil

christo2024

Visit site
The owners manual for my Bukh DV20 says I need a SAE20 oil or 5w-20w multigrade(for ambient temp between + 5deg to +25deg) Its hard to find. Anyone have a contact. Straight SAE 30 seems more widely available. Anyone had problems with SAE 30?

sailorman

Visit site
only once or twice /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oldharry

Visit site
I was told by the local Bukh man only ever to use SAE30. But other forumites report using multigrades without any apparent problems. They dont like synthetics though presumably because they are pretty basic engines.

RobBrown

Visit site
I've got a Bukh 20 and use HD30 oil which I can usually get from local motor factors and is spp for diesels, but failing that have also used CC/CD multigrade eg Duckhams Classic without any evident problems. Goes both in engine and ZF gearbox.

tabernacleman

Visit site
can someone enlighten me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif if an engine designer specifies sae 20 then what harm can I do if I fill it up with sae 10 - 40? I can understand a problem if I use sae 80 too thick /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif or sae 10 too thin /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but a multigrade - got to be better than a single grade considering the great variety of temperatures we tend to sail in, or motor more to the point /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
In most cases using an appropriate multigrade will not do any harm. Match the API specification advised by the engine manufacturer. Don't be tempted to go for a very low viscosity, I use 15W-40 and would not go to 10 or less. Many classic car owners swear by monogrades but this is to do with additive and detergent content as much as the viscosity.