Budget Chartplotter for Fly.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
From the manual for reference:

Autopilot restrictions Important:

A SeaTalk autopilot or associated controller must not be connected to the SeaTalk - SeaTalkng converter.

There are restrictions as to how an autopilot is connected in a system containing a SeaTalk - SeaTalkng converter.

• SeaTalkng autopilot (e.g. SPX course computer with ST70 controller) — This can be connected as part of the SeaTalkng system in the usual manner. However any SeaTalk cable from the autopilot must NOT be connected to the converter.

As i said, if the AP has a STNG connection, that should be used, pretty obvious.

• SeaTalk autopilot (e.g. S1, S2 or S3 course computer with ST6002 controller) — This cannot be connected to the converter, nor to any device on the converter’s SeaTalk spur. A SeaTalk autopilot will usually be connected directly to the multifunction display.

This is misleading/incorrect.

As i said previously, this can be connected. Using the example of S1/S2/S3, all that has to be done is to connect the controller to the ACU, then connect the ACU to the converter.

In actual fact, it will still work if you connected both the controller and the ACU to the converter, but Raymarine do not recommend this, as it relies on the network/converter being powered up for the AP to work. Somewhat over cautious, IMO, as there must be 10's of thousands of older APs out there that need to seatalk "network" powered up for the AP to work.

Elessar

Visit site
As i said, if the AP has a STNG connection, that should be used, pretty obvious.

This is misleading/incorrect.

As i said previously, this can be connected. Using the example of S1/S2/S3, all that has to be done is to connect the controller to the ACU, then connect the ACU to the converter.

In actual fact, it will still work if you connected both the controller and the ACU to the converter, but Raymarine do not recommend this, as it relies on the network/converter being powered up for the AP to work. Somewhat over cautious, IMO, as there must be 10's of thousands of older APs out there that need to seatalk "network" powered up for the AP to work.
Yep mine included. I had an auto helm type 100 (30 years old) working perfectly in this way.

Elessar

Visit site
Thanks to all who contributed it is appreciated .
Back to the drawing board
Which now either involves the minor problem of getting a Raynet cable up to the flybridge from the saloon or sticking to the simple but limited option of sticking with the Ipad .
Run the cable and put some drawstrings in whilst you’re at it. Bound to want other stuff in future. A fully integrated system is best.

DrSpock

Visit site

The autopilot control head should be powered by the course computer (technically it's not an ACU as that moniker is for the Evolution series) through a Seatalk connection so it's not really relevant. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter should be powered by the Seatalkng backbone and the power (red) cable from the Seatalk connection disconnected so the autopilot is a self-contained system. You also need to bear in mind the converter will only work with up to 5 Seatalk devices and some Seatalk networks can be much larger as people assume if the plug fits just connect it...

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The autopilot control head should be powered by the course computer (technically it's not an ACU as that moniker is for the Evolution series) through a Seatalk connection so it's not really relevant. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng converter should be powered by the Seatalkng backbone and the power (red) cable from the Seatalk connection disconnected so the autopilot is a self-contained system. You also need to bear in mind the converter will only work with up to 5 Seatalk devices and some Seatalk networks can be much larger as people assume if the plug fits just connect it...

That's what i said in the post you snipped to quote.

"Using the example of S1/S2/S3, all that has to be done is to connect the controller to the ACU, then connect the ACU to the converter. "

I also said:

"it will still work if you connected both the controller and the ACU to the converter, but Raymarine do not recommend this, as it relies on the network/converter being powered up for the AP to work. "

So i'm well aware of how it can be connected and how it is recommended to be connected. I'm also aware of the 5 device limit.

Not sure why there is always someone who wants to "correct" something that needs no correction.

oldgit

Visit site
Yesterday.
First decent run out this year for mechanical checks , having changed impellers/filter /oil . T & Ps @ WOT all OK.
Doubt that much crud on bottom this year after a couple of fast runs.
Boat out of water next week for jetwash , anodes and A/F.

On way back to mooring decide to engage auto pilot and .............................watch boat gently veer off course...Arrrgh.......
Back down to boat this morning to see what have we "done" this time, clutching the Raymarine manuals.

DrSpock

Visit site
Not sure why there is always someone who wants to "correct" something that needs no correction.

Simply because your post needed clarification. You stated:

Somewhat over cautious, IMO, as there must be 10's of thousands of older APs out there that need to seatalk "network" powered up for the AP to work.

As I said - that's irrelevant as when properly installed the course computer (which is not an ACU as you keep referring to it as) powers the Seatalk network for devices it is reliant on.

Out of interest are you BMET, MEI or a Raymarine Certified Installer as I don't see any certification on your website?

Dino

Visit site

Elessar

Visit site
Well I know that 6 works. I guess it’s a voltage drop thing eventually.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Simply because your post needed clarification. You stated:

Somewhat over cautious, IMO, as there must be 10's of thousands of older APs out there that need to seatalk "network" powered up for the AP to work.

As I said - that's irrelevant as when properly installed the course computer (which is not an ACU as you keep referring to it as) powers the Seatalk network for devices it is reliant on.

Selective snipping of quotes, to take them out of context, really ?

I already posted the recommended method, more than once.

I added the reason Raymarine do not recommend leaving the control head on the ST bus.

Out of interest are you BMET, MEI or a Raymarine Certified Installer as I don't see any certification on your website?

Why do you feel the need to be "interested" in my website or qualifications ? Do any/all of those have a bearing on knowing how to connect some Raymarine equipment together ?

It is, however, the usual thing on here, to make snide personal comments when one has nothing to actually say, worth saying.

oldgit

Visit site
Regards autopilot, deleted all my attempts to programme a couple of Routes into the Chartplotter.
While firmly attched to the pontoon, plotter when engaged , now seems to be functioning normally again. ie rudder is moving correctly in response to 1 and 10 degree inputs.
The local Raymarine man has however again been summoned to check the entire system out.
Thinking of reserving him his very own parking spot in the car park !

DrSpock

Visit site
Why do you feel the need to be "interested" in my website or qualifications ? Do any/all of those have a bearing on knowing how to connect some Raymarine equipment together ?

It is, however, the usual thing on here, to make snide personal comments when one has nothing to actually say, worth saying.

Simply because you come across as extremely arrogant in your posts as if you're the only person vaguely experienced or qualified to discuss such matters.

The fact that you have no formal qualifications and are an amateur playing professional says it all.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Simply because you come across as extremely arrogant in your posts as if you're the only person vaguely experienced or qualified to discuss such matters.

The fact that you have no formal qualifications and are an amateur playing professional says it all.

Yep, as usual, nothing to really add, so resorting to personal insults.

Everything i have said is 100% correct, all verifiable, despite attempts by yourself and one other to discredit my information.

40+ years of experience in automotive and marine trades trumps a couple of days product training with a manufacturer or a short course with a trade body.

I don't hide behind anonymous names, i'm happy to put my name to what i post and many of my customers read and/or post on these forums.

Who are you?

What's your trade ?

One thing i don't do is to populate the For Sale forum with trade adverts, pretending to be "selling on behalf of a friend" or "just upgraded.....".

Last edited: