Buckler's Hard, Beaulieu - Ouch!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
As of yesterday (9/7) no moorings available for the weekend and next Saturday available for walk ashore berths being the first weekend in August.

Shutting off the Northern visitor's pontoons due to possible interaction with permanent berth holders seems unduly cautious. For example visitors to East Cowes or Haslar have to walk past the permanent berths to get to the marina office.

Last edited:

C08

Visit site
You would be "ouching" if you had a 50% catamaran surcharge that some of these jokers charge.

[165264]

Visit site
The shower facilities are indeed very tarted up, with individual large shower rooms and a lounge-style waiting area outside. Unfortunately, they're wet rooms so you struggle to get dressed without getting wet socks, and they get steamy so you can't dry off properly first either. Definitely style over function.

One of the big attractions of Buckler's Hard, for us, is the very pleasant river walk into Beaulieu and back.
Covid soup

[165264]

Visit site
Thanks for making me aware of this. Probably just as well I don't own a boat. I'd be tempted to go there to empty my holding tank. Sorry chaps, I realise that is terribly naughty. But it is a sort of "nuclear option". I saw some filthy bastard do something similar in Yarmouth harbour IOW last summer. (Yes, dear reader, IN the harbour. )

PilotWolf

Visit site
The shower facilities are indeed very tarted up, with individual large shower rooms and a lounge-style waiting area outside. Unfortunately, they're wet rooms so you struggle to get dressed without getting wet socks, and they get steamy so you can't dry off properly first either. Definitely style over function.

One of the big attractions of Buckler's Hard, for us, is the very pleasant river walk into Beaulieu and back.

Flip flops and put socks on at the boat?

W.

Wiltshire

Visit site
11 euros for a night for our 31ft boat in Blankenberg last week and a very reasonably priced meal at the yacht club on the quay too. We spent the week dodging strong winds in Belgium and Holland and didn't pay more than about 24 euros a night. I have to declare a bias in that Beaulieu is our home port in the UK, albeit we are based in Belgium whilst living/working on this side of the Channel. I think Beaulieu gets a hard time from some on here. The location and surrounding countryside are exceptional and the staff are helpful and friendly. The new showers are a giant leap on from the old ones.

The Solent is a great place to keep a boat but it is very expensive. People over here often comment on our boat coming from Beulieu and those who have visited the Solent speak well of it. Sadly they also regularly say how expensive the South coast of the UK is too.

[165264]

Visit site
Too many boats and too few spaces in that area. I can see things changing until one of those variables does. I don't see any chances of a new marina between Poole and Chichester any time soon, so one has to wait to see if the popularity of boat ownership declines. I doubt that will either.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Too many boats and too few spaces in that area. I can see things changing until one of those variables does. I don't see any chances of a new marina between Poole and Chichester any time soon, so one has to wait to see if the popularity of boat ownership declines. I doubt that will either.

Both Lymington and Beaulieu extended their visitor's capacity over the winter so there should be more spaces available but both also put their fees up this year.

[165264]

Visit site
Both Lymington and Beaulieu extended their visitor's capacity over the winter so there should be more spaces available but both also put their fees up this year.
I think the same happened near Swanwick. It's also why marinas are expensive in Croatia. Lots of S Germans and Austrians, as well as Italians have their boats there. Good for Croatia I guess. So much of the economy is linked to tourism and they will have taken a big hit this year.

Blue Sunray

Visit site

This is a possibility, but not for a few years.

Fawley Waterside: Main Site

prv

Visit site
Flip flops and put socks on at the boat?

That's what I do. Take light shorts, a T-shirt, and sandals up to the shore facilities, throw them on in the clammy, steamy shower room, walk back to the boat drying off in the breeze, then get dressed properly on board and break out the G&T.

Pete

Other threads that may be of interest