Brulliant idea which ……………

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
…………everyone else has probably thought of already!

West Systems resin can be obtained in dispensers. I have had a few but find that after a short while they end up as a sticky mess. They are also not really applicable for the preparation of small quantities.

Having sealed a through-hull with guessed-at proportions and which never cured, I bought two syringes from the local chemists;- one 1ml, the other 5ml.

These give the recommended ratio of 5:1, are clean in use, are dedicated to either resin or hardener (so don't end up solid by cross contamination) and are easy to wipe off. The plunger is captive in the syringe so gives the required quantity by default. Best of all, they are only 65p each!

prv

Visit site
…………everyone else has probably thought of already!

Yep - all fibreglass suppliers I know (including Force 4 down the road) stock syringes :)

I use them more for the tiny quantities of catalyst or wax-in-styrene that's involved with polyester, rather than for epoxy. The pumps have always worked fine for me, but each to his own.

Pete

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Having sealed a through-hull with guessed-at proportions and which never cured, I bought two syringes from the local chemists;- one 1ml, the other 5ml.

A few years ago I needed to feed a sick cat - a dying cat, as it turned out - and was advised to use a syringe to get meat stock down her. Could I get a chemist anywhere in Glastonbury to sell me a syringe? No I bleeding well could not - they simply looked at me suspiciously and in one case - Boots - ordered me out of the shop. I don't think I was particularly scruffy, but Glastonbury is fairly well known for unofficial pharmaceuticals and they weren't taking chances.

Conachair

Visit site
Another option is to use a cheap set of digital kitchen scales and measure out by weight.

+1 For epoxy 2 part paint. You can get very accurate without the cleaning of syringes afterwards. Though you need to check of the resin and cure have the same specific gravity, a batch of primer i did yesterday was 6.5 weight resin to 5 weight cure , though 1 to 1 by volume.

G12

Visit site
If you want syringes then go to your local Boots. They give them out with fresh needles for the local druggies. I've had a few free ones this way. Just tell them you don't want the needles.

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
A few years ago I needed to feed a sick cat - a dying cat, as it turned out - and was advised to use a syringe to get meat stock down her. Could I get a chemist anywhere in Glastonbury to sell me a syringe? No I bleeding well could not - they simply looked at me suspiciously and in one case - Boots - ordered me out of the shop. I don't think I was particularly scruffy, but Glastonbury is fairly well known for unofficial pharmaceuticals and they weren't taking chances.

I had the opposite in Sydney. I went to a pharmicist and asked for some syringes. (Injecting epoxy into the decks, classic boat...)

I got the full run down on the needle exchange program, a set of 10 syringes, a sharps box, and the right to return said box for a fresh set of 10. And a dirty look. :)