Bruce's yard surrounding services

Visit site
Can anyone tell me what access to services is like in/around Bruce's yard?

Specifically, riggers where I can order materials myself, sailmakers, and stainless fabricators?

Debating whether to do some work there, or just go to Almerimar.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Very little on the doorstep but most things within driving distance, winter car hire <€5 per day. I had a quote from a rigger at Albufeira to visit just for an insurance inspection, he wanted €330 but pointed out he didn't have permission to work in the yard. AFAIK, nearest sailmakers are Vilamoura and Portimao. Stainless steel fabricators at Olhao and Conceicao, stainless materials from near the stadium out of town.

Heckler

Visit site
Can anyone tell me what access to services is like in/around Bruce's yard?

Specifically, riggers where I can order materials myself, sailmakers, and stainless fabricators?

Debating whether to do some work there, or just go to Almerimar.
I delivered a boat from Almerimar back end of last year. It was on the hard. Prices for services by contractors seemed high to me. Also bear in mind March 29th, Portugal is looking friendlier from the point of view of temporary residency.

Visit site
Hmm seems like it's not for me then.

I need access to chandleries, fabricators, rigging/sail etc.. all on the door step. I'm a full time cruiser so don't have a car, or drive really.

Yeah, Almirimar want €600 for a haul out, splash, and 2 weeks on the hard.

greeny

Visit site
Portimao and contact Vasille at SlickHull if you want good work at reasonable price. You have a choice of yards there, the "marina" yard probably the most expensive but has decent toilet and shower and wifi. The others slightly cheaper but don't think they have as good facilities if you're living onboard. Lidl is 5 mins walking distance, town 10 mins over the bridge with shops and restaurants, plenty of options to do work for you but as I said, Vassille is one of the best at a reasonable price.

emandvee44

Visit site
+1 for Portimao yard. Went there yesterday and was shown around the yard by Vasile. It is very clean and tidy and adequate space between boats. Cheap on-site cafe.
Several on-site firms there with multiple disciplines. Sopromar chandlers has just about anything you need. I bought a new vhf antenna and it was cheaper than the delivered from UK price.
We are now waiting for a lift out slot as the yard is very busy. (and someone to go up the mast as I am banned - long story:()
M.

Visit site
Everything is available at Sopromar and to a very high standard - but at a price.

Yeah, crazy price it seems. Got quoted €1200 vs €600 at Almerimar. Looks like Portugal is a no go as far as coming out and doing work, if those prices are anything to go on.

BTW I think people are getting confused. I'm not looking for services i.e people to come to the boat and do work. I'm looking for access to stainless steel, access to well stocked chandleries, access to a fabricator in which I take something to him and ask him to copy it. That kind of stuff.

GHA

Visit site
Yeah, crazy price it seems. Got quoted €1200 vs €600 at Almerimar. Looks like Portugal is a no go as far as coming out and doing work, if those prices are anything to go on.

BTW I think people are getting confused. I'm not looking for services i.e people to come to the boat and do work. I'm looking for access to stainless steel, access to well stocked chandleries, access to a fabricator in which I take something to him and ask him to copy it. That kind of stuff.

Around Faro you can get that but not the well stocked chancellery, a lot of people use SVB to get stuff delivered to the yard. Stainless stock is a bit of a trek, about 5k away but if no one in the yard with a car is doing a run up then hire cars can be had for a few euros if you time it right. Several good back street fabricators in Olhao which is 10m in a train away. Getting rigging crimped not so sure about. Good hardware shop near the market in Faro with a selection of stainless fasteners etc but bit pricey buying a few at a time. Like everywhere. Large DIY shop round the corner with a little bit of stainless but handy for more sandpaper etc.
Also bear in mind not many yards in Spain will let you live aboard on the hard, Portugal they don't seem to care.

Graham376

Visit site

I guess it depends on what you want, Bruce's is the preferred DIY yard for many nationalities (almost fully booked this winter) and we've hauled out there for 4 - 6 winter weeks for the past 12 years. If not willing to shop around and find materials yourself or, have them easily delivered from UK, then by all means pay a lot more money at Portimao or Lagos. Biggest drawback with Bruce's is the lack of crane for masts, one has to be hired in which is expensive or, do rigging with mast up. Unlike GHA, most won't risk dropping mast by hand:)

crashtack

Visit site
Pete Keeping based in Vilamoura is a great rigger. He is very reasonably priced and will travel, although you may have to wait a day or two so that he can do a few jobs in the same Marina.

Graham376

Visit site
Pete Keeping based in Vilamoura is a great rigger. He is very reasonably priced and will travel, although you may have to wait a day or two so that he can do a few jobs in the same Marina.

I had a quote from Pete Keeping recently. Times have changed, wanted €330 just for a rig inspection. https://petekeeping.com/contacts/

ironmaiden

Visit site
We are in Bruce's yard at the moment, haul out was 150euro for our 44 ft boat. Monthly cost is 330 euro and you can live aboard, this price is all in, including electric and water.
We are also doing a complete re-rig, I did a lot of research and found the easiest way was to buy everything in one go and have it shipped th Bruce's yard from England for around 50£.
As it happened I had to go to the uk so I bought all the gear and I'll be driving down to Bruce's so I saved the 50 squids but I still think that is the best way to go get it delivered.
We are planning to go up to almarimar when she is re-rigged, we were going to do the whole job at almarimar but it worked ou cheaper doing it at Bruce's yard.
There are plenty of folk who live there in the yard who have car and are more then willing to do a run for you.
I will be there with the car around May for about 2/3 weeks if that's any use to anyone.

Graham376

Visit site
We are planning to go up to almarimar when she is re-rigged, we were going to do the whole job at almarimar but it worked ou cheaper doing it at Bruce's yard.

I'm looking at re-rigging ours as well. Are you doing it DIY with mast up? Since Bruce's Hiab packed up, cranes have to be hired in and last quote I heard of was €400 each way, down and up. We should be back around there end May/early June so may well see you in the yard.

ironmaiden

Visit site
Yes we doing the re-rig with the mast up, I did ask Joanne in the office about a crane, she said it was about 200 each way but would be cheaper if there were others that wanted there mast pulled at the same time.
I'm fabricating mast steps to bring down with me as they will make the job much easier.
Hope we see you there, we have s/v OLA she's somewhere in the middle of the yard.