Broom 30 and Ocean

daboss_uk

Visit site
Hi there

Looking for some help on these boats as getting frustrated , were both made by Broom or just the 30?. Which is the better version? as the prices are all over the place.

On the Broom 30 Skipper , does the folding screen allow allow room to pass under low bridges ( say on the Avon around Warwickshire etc ) i assume it will and designed for that reason.

Finding conflicting info on the web so thought i'd try here, really like the Broom Skipper... whats the best engine/setup to gun for.

Many thanks

D

Wavey

Visit site
Info on the Ocean 30 with downloadable docs and brochures

http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/ocean-30-boats-for-sale.html

Just to add, the Broom 30 was built with twin engines, or a single engine and I know of at least one with a single + a wing engine. Some have outside steering position and some don't. Prices will vary quite a bit depending on exact spec. The Skipper was built with a slightly lower spec and I haven't come across any with twins. All these were built by Brooms and have rock solid build quality. Some Skippers were built as hire boats with a more basic interior. Again prices vary with the spec but not so much as the Broom 30. Skippers will always be the less expensive option.

It seems various yards built the Ocean 30 no doubt with varying quality of fit out. As with the Broom some had twins and some had singles. Ocean 30s were also built as hire boats with a lesser quality fit out. Some have a small offset aft cabin but exactly what that was I don't know as I've never looked inside one of those.

Last edited:

essexboy

Visit site
I think the "Ocean 30" was built by Aquafibre, but many were sold as Hull/ Super for other yards and hire fleets to fit out. The Broom Skipper will fit under most bridges on the Broads, and sometimes even under Potter Heigham.
The engines ranged from Perkins 4.107 / 4.108 to Leyland 1.6 / 1.8 The 30 had Perkins 4.236 which was nice (r)

Shannoner

Visit site
Ocean 30s were also built as hire boats with a lesser quality fit out. Some have a small offset aft cabin but exactly what that was I don't know as I've never looked inside one of those.

I got my first taste of the River Shannon in a hired Ocean 30 in 1973. Three of my uncles, used to hire one every year for a lad's week away. One year they took me and a mate along, we were 12 or 13 at the time. We had a two week trip, and went from Lough Key in the north Shannon all the way down to Dromineer on Lough Derg. I really enjoyed that holiday and remembered it fondly, so much so that 33 years later I bought my own cruiser, a Birchwood, and keep it on the best bit of the Shannon, Lough Derg.
I remember the offset cabin, it had a single berth and a wash hand basin, my uncle's drew lots to see which one of them got it, the losers had to share the salon diner berth, and me and my mate got the forward vee. In fact a few years ago I came across one of the Ocean 30s from that hire fleet in a marina in Banagher, it was in private ownership and had been for quite some time, it was looking a wee bit neglected as the owner had passed away and the family didn't use it much, but having said that it would've only taken a small bit of TLC to restore her. A really great hardy little boat.

daboss_uk

Visit site
Thanks for the info chaps, my main concern is using the 30 on the River Avon, this is the info i've been given -

The River Avon can be used by boats with a maximum length of 70 feet (21 m), beam of 13.5 feet (4.1 m), height of 10 feet (3.0 m) and draught of 4 feet (1.2 m) from Tewkesbury to Evesham. Above Evesham, beam is restricted to 12.5 feet (3.8 m) and draught to 3 feet (0.91 m).[8]

Anyone know the the size of the 30 with upper steering position, the screen does fold down tho.

macnorton

Visit site
An Ocean 30 without a hard top and screens folded is app 2M, I assume you mean the flybridge version which I guess would be more than 3M?

Loggo

Visit site
We covered the Avon (Tewkesbury to Stratford) the week before last in our renaissance (AKA Haines, Broom etc) 31 with no trouble. I would have thought an Ocean 30 would be just fine if the water levels cooperate.
If I were buying a boat with the idea of using it on the Avon as much as possible throughout the Summer I think I would go for something with as little air draft as possible or be prepared to spend a lot of time moored up. Bidford on Avon Bridge is the pinch point. PM me if I can be of any help - we decided to moor at Upton (other marinas are available) as the Severn provides more opportunities for cruising.

Alpha22

Visit site
Ocean 30's were built by many yards, Nunn being one of them and Moonraker built some. They were generally twin Mercedes but occasionally Perkins.
Full aft cabins were available, the half back cabin were generally Norfolk Broads hire boats, single BMC engine and nasty interior.

moonraker 36

Visit site
thAqua Fibre Ltd in Brundall, Norwich was founded in the mid 1960's, and produced fibreglass hulls. One of the models in the early days of the company's existence included a 30 ft. hull designed by Rip Martins. Vic Bell was one of the original founder directors, and this gave his company Bell Boats Ltd. the rights to use any of their models for building boats for their own benefit.
One of these boats, using the 30 ft. hull, was sold to a Captain in the Rhine Army, and which he named "Moonraker". The captain unfortunately passed away and Bell Boats Ltd was asked to sell the boat. David Buxton purchased this craft and kept the name "Moonraker" and commissioned Bell Boats to produce a more luxurious model, which amongst other items included soft linings throughout. Upon completion of this craft he advertised it for sale, and the response was so great that he was able to place an order for six more almost immediately. And hereby the Moonraker came into existence. The early part of 1968 the Moonraker 30 production began in earnest.

When the Moonraker 36 was introduced in January 70, orders in hand were completed, but no further orders were taken. All in all 52 Moonrakers on the Ocean 30 hull were produced.

e ocean 30 were built along side the moonraker 30.
http://moonraker.dk/danish/om_moonraker/moon30.htm

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
The Broom 30 and Ocean (Aft cabin) shared the Aquafibre hull, but little else, apart from normal single engine on shaft. Both well loved boats!

I had the 'Wing engine' Broom (No Regrets) by the way! Great boat...

Twin engined brooms were not really any faster and prone to prop fouling, as the single had an almost indestructible prop behind the huge keel which was well protected if a little limited in manoeuvrability...

Wavey

Visit site
The Bosun is a lovely, lovely boat and very, very rare.

http://www.broomowners.com/gallery/discontinued-models/30-bosun

But it is not a boat to buy unless you have the determination and deep enough pockets/time and skill to keep her looking as she should. Getting on in years now and fibreglass hulls mated to wooden topsides was never the best of marriages. If it's the one I'm thinking of she is drop dead gorgeous but will need the love and attention lavished on her to keep her that way.

If I was going back to a river cruiser I would buy her (because I love Brooms and that's a classic) but only because selling mine would give me the funds to spend on her. She deserves a very good home.

DanFox

Visit site
Hello everyone I'm trying to find out the size of the propeller on a AF/Broom ocean 30 but can not find any info on the size or pitch, I'm looking at getting one one day either the AF or Broom, I just want to get an idea on the size and the clearance from the tip to the hull and the rudder arm, Oh and is the hull a displacement or a semi displacement, and what is the cruising speed and max speed, I've seen so many that say top speed is 11knots to 9 knots and even 8knots, as well as saying the hull is a displacement and others saying its a semi displacement

Tar Dan

Ferris

Visit site
No idea on the prop clearance but there are ex-hire Broom 30's in Ireland with single Perkins 4236's (72hp). Obviously this is plenty of power for a river boat of that length. Sure enough they bomb around with a huge bow wave and wake but I would say they are maxed out at 7.5/8 knots. I doubt any left the factory with more usable power (twins had more power but more drag, hence they are slower).

Ocean 30 is a better boat than the Broom 30 IMO and there seems to be a better supply of clean / original boats in the UK. In fact my uncle just bought one, he has always had a thing for them and just picked one up in all its 70's interior glory. Single or twin OM636's are a nice engine in them. The perkins 4107/8's are fine but are a bit noisier. Some had BMC's in them but no experience of them.