Broadband, non boatyish

bigmart

Visit site
I run Windows ME & the connection for multiple puters is simple. It took minutes to set up & works great. Just a simple peer to peer network using a couple of network cards.

I couldn't go back to a 56K Modem.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
e-mail address

Does anyone know if I would be able to keep my btinternet e-mail address if I changed to the broadband?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Strange that, I went broad band a few days ago. Great! everything exploded, downloading stuff at up to 10 times previous speeds all except YBW. Yes! definately improved but nothing like other sites.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

terryw

Visit site
Look at Demon

Everyone seems to think that BT is the only way, however there are others. We are with Demon for the following reasons:
* BT are £27.99 or £29.99 per month. Demon are £24.99
* "Contention" All providers use a contention ratio of 50:1 This means that as it gets busier, and the number of available lines get used up you share a line with others (up to 50 others). Worst senario is speeds of just 10k. As more people will use BT than say Demon you have less chance of the lines becoming full.
* If anything goes wrong Demon answer the phone, and help you.

<hr width=100% size=1>If your nose is running, and your feet smell, you are upside down.

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Re: e-mail address

Problem is I pay £15 a month for the BT ISP, can you cancel that and keep the e-mail? I will try and speak to them today to see what is best.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I went for AOL broadband (because I was with AOL before) and it is excellent, very fast including YBW.
It's a couple of squid more expensive than the others per month but free modem.
The only drawback is when I access on the boat via my laptop and cell phone I have to pay an additional charge to AOL but it's nothing compaired to ther phone bill.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Umm, very interesting. Up to the end of last year I worked for BT, involved with a major network centre.
In January I had a telephone bill for £ 267 of which most was my pay as U go ISP. So despite having BT and Telewest in the house I signed up for BT broadband. Reasons why, cheaper which at the time was important eg 1/2 price modem and free connection, modem is USB which is easier for me than a NIC card in my already full PC.
And politics in that the wife uses Telewest services and I use BT.
Problems, virtually none, occasional modem hangs, which you unplug modem, reboot PC and replug modem all OK.
I login and out but if you're going to stay connected get A. A good Virus checker and keep it up to date (either avg.com or Norton, first is free, second is better) B. get a firewall (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tinysoftware.com>http://www.tinysoftware.com</A> is the one that goes recommended by my ex work mates.
Upside downloads at a real 56KB instead of 4.7 and thats significant. Yes some of you are quite right about contention ratio the only time I noticed a slight slowing is 09:00-09:30 and 17:00-17:45 otherwise speed tests show 56Kish all the time.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500

Other threads that may be of interest