Brittany Charter

Kedge

Visit site
Hi all,

we are trying to charter a couple of 35-40 footers in the brittany area for a week in May. Our preference is to go from Jersey as we can fly direct there from Manchester, but we have only found 1 boat so far.

Does anyone know of any boats for charter, or have any other ideas on how to get to Brittany quickly and cheaply ?

Thanks

K.

HappyHunter

Visit site
Sunsail have a smallish base in Brittany. Call the Port Solent Office or the website.

Last year when I was looking on the web, I found the best thing was to use the "worldwide" option on the search engine and a few french words like "voilier" "louer" and bretagne".

There a number of charter outfits in La Trinitie Sur Mer in southern brittany, a big yachting centre, and you should be able to get hold of numbers through web sites found using that name.

PBrooks

Visit site
try www.latesail.com - give them a ring if there's nothing on their web site. We used them a couple of years ago for S. Brittany and they were very helpful. Actually, I'd recommend S Brittany - a bit warmer and I think you can fly into Vannes or somewhere near there. (I'm not connected with them in any way).

Best regards
Paul

Kedge

Visit site
Apparently Sunsail no longer have a base in Brittany. Hpwever, I followed your advice and looked up La Trinitie Sur Mer on the web - this turned up a few possibilities and I think we are sorted now. Thanks.

Kedge

Visit site
Paul,
we managed to get flights to Lorient (near Vannes) for less the £200 and have arranged a charter from La Trinite Sur Mere.

I would be interested to hear if you have any particular recomendations on where to go in the area.

Ian

PBrooks

Visit site
Hi Ian
We dawdled around Belle Isle and the Islands of Houat and Hoedic. Belle Isle has some life and restaurants, the other two fabulous beaches and are nature reserves (I think). You'll need good charts and settled weather for the beach anchorages (and a "French" attitude to 'prohibited' anchorages) - but they're worth it. If the weather hadn't been good, we would have looked around the Morbihan, which is also nice. I've got an old copy of a Yachting Monthly passage planner with pictures and pilotage notes. It would be worth seeing if it's still available. Otherwise one or other of the pilot books (and Almanac) would be helpful in pointing out ways through the rocks etc. Also, I'm sure others on the forum will have been to the area and have their own favourite places...
I hope you have a great time.
Best regards Paul