"British English" speakers: What do you call a boat propelled by sails?

What is the *British* English term for a boat propelled by sails?

• Sailboat

• Sailing Boat

• British English speakers use both terms equally

• Some other option you want to be here but isn't

Results are only viewable after voting.

[159032]

Visit site
Given the choice, as we were, of "sail boat" or "sailing boat" then sailboat is far better. It matters not where it originates.
It describes the form of motive power the boat uses.

How many native English speakers say "motoring boat"?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
About as many as would call this a "fish boat"?
BOTW-305-820x547.jpg

Leighb

Visit site
Given the choice, as we were, of "sail boat" or "sailing boat" then sailboat is far better. It matters not where it originates.
It describes the form of motive power the boat uses.

I think the last sentence implies that some logic is expected in the English language, it is clear from the spelling and pronunciation usage that there is no logic whatsoever! ?
Even the so-called rule “I before E except after C” has a large number of exceptions.

BabaYaga

Visit site
With (presumably) most of the votes now in, discounting the "other" votes the scores, rounded to the nearest percent are:
Sailboat: 3%
Sailing Boat: 91%
Both equally: 6%

I think this confirms that "Sailing Boat" is preferred to "Sailboat" by British English speakers.

As a non-native reader of English, what strikes me most is how sparsely either of those two words are used on these forums when posters are referring to their own boats. I get the impression, if it's a motorboat, your are expected to make that clear. If it's a sailboat, sorry, sailing boat, you just say boat.

NealB

Visit site
As a non-native reader of English, what strikes me most is how sparsely either of those two words are used on these forums when posters are referring to their own boats. I get the impression, if it's a motorboat, your are expected to make that clear. If it's a sailboat, sorry, sailing boat, you just say boat.

For me, that's because the forum name gives me a good idea as to what we're talking about.

ie Scuttlebutt is, generally, sailing boat chat, whereas the motor boat forum is ...errr .... well ....you know!

John the kiwi

Visit site
Thanks to the OP for excluding australians but not kiwis. Shows he has good taste and education as Queens English has been well preserved here. We have boats if asked by lubbers and sailing boats if pressed. To other sailors its generally a "Young 88" or whatever.

Sailboat is wrong. Like Horseback riding! As opposed to riding what other part of the horse i ask?

Old Harry

Visit site
Contrary to my normal global outlook, this is a poll exclusively for native speakers of "British English". Not 'Strine and *definitely* not American English. Sorry.
Prompted by a recent thread on liveaboard link I just wanted to clear this issue up once and for all so we can in future link back to this poll.
Yacht

BabaYaga

Visit site
For me, that's because the forum name gives me a good idea as to what we're talking about.

ie Scuttlebutt is, generally, sailing boat chat, whereas the motor boat forum is ...errr .... well ....you know!

Yes, maybe you are right.
So it has nothing to do with 'sailing boat' sounding a bit too plain?

NealB

Visit site
So it has nothing to do with 'sailing boat' sounding a bit too plain?

Not to me!

I have two boats:

- one is a boat that I use primarily for sailing. She's therefore a sailing boat (which sounds, to me, to offer challenge, excitement and adventure ie does not sound 'plain').

- the other is propelled by a motor. She's a motor boat.

Yes, it's slightly inconsistent, but it's absolutely clear which boat is which.

Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
how is it a sailing boat when it is sitting at anchor or on a berth , it is not sailing .

Good grief .... do you really want to use a different noun for the same object, depending on what it is doing at any given moment?

Is a saucepan only a saucepan when it's being used to make a sauce? What do you call it when it's stowed away unused, or when you're using it to scramble an egg?

Same with your boat: call her an 'anchored boat', or a 'berthed boat', or a 'boat that isn't being used just at the moment', if you prefer.

Up to you (that's one of the beauties of our language), but, to my ear, that all sounds rather clumsy!

cherod

Visit site
i was just pointing out the rediculousness of calling something something which it is not . (y) , however it is still a sail boat even when parked up .