Bristol Harbour Moorings

mireland

Visit site
Anyone any experience of annual mooring in the harbour - not the marina? I was down there today and wondered what security was like and whether it might be a good place to keep the boat. As I live locally I have always fancied the idea of popping down to the boat regular like of an evening but years ago there seemed to be few berths and an enquiry in the harbour office was met with disinterest so I took the hint! lately there seems to have been a vast increase in pontoon berths so I assume they are now in business again though I have no idea what they charge. I know that access to the channel is limited but does it stack up for you?

Sneds

Visit site
We keep our boat in the harbour and have had no security issues, as you say tidal access can be a bit of a pain and most trips out for us include an overnight at Portishead, but that is more by choice than nessecity(?).
It is a cheaper option as the pontoon berths in The Centre are £135 per metre per annum. Hanover Quay, opposite The Mathew, are £175, no idea why?
One downside is car parking but with a little thought you can park in the city centre cheaply and often free!
I have heard there is a long waiting list but I think that may be for a specific spot?
If not I am unsure why there would be a long list (depending on boat size of course) as there are a few permanently empty spaces and a lot of crappy boats that no one use and IMO spoil the whole harbour and should be removed.
Please pm me if any further info required.

Allan

Visit site
We visit Bristol, from Cardiff once or twice a year. As I understand things, we don't need a boat safety certificate but if you take up a long term mooring one is needed. Visitors are however required to either prove they are insured or buy short term insurance from the harbour office. I think it is less than a quid a day.
I always think it is funny for me to visit Bristol as it is where I live.
Allan

RobF

Visit site
I stayed in Bristol for a weekend 2 years ago and wasn't asked about a boat safety certificate. They did expect me to have insurance (not unreasonably IMHO)

Allan

Visit site
Thanks Allan.

I was born in Bristol, visit the place (by road) occasionally but have not yet been there by boat. I hope to remedy that soon.
If you want to stop on the way to Bristol CYC don't charge visitors. PM me and I'll see if I'm around. One weekend this year we will be having our "Avon challenge", sail from Cardiff to the Clifton suspension bridge.
Allan

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks. If the weather in June is unsuitable for a trip to Scilly we may well head for Bristol.
Our regatta is the jubilee weekend so would be a good time to visit. Later in June we have a club cruise to Brittany so there may be fewer boats around until early July.
Allan

Karen

Visit site
Mooring in Bristol Harbourside

We presently keep LIEF a 40' sailing yacht in the harbour, usually by the wall by Cafe Gusto (end of Cathedral Walk) We haven't experienced any problem there apart from the lack of a power/water supply, although we sometimes have a rubbish problem with pedestrians littering and it falling on our boat, which is annoying but a fact of life anywhere these days.We are at the moment on a empty pontoon as the usual occupant have their boat on the hard, but next week after the superyacht Mogambo leaves for the Med we will be moved back to our previous mooring.

There is a horrendous waiting list for space in the Harbourside, it often looks like there is space, but all pontoon moorings are occupied and there has to be space for the ferries, and visitors. Later this year there will be even more pressure for space as the Matthew has to relocate elsewhere in the harbour as do the other vessels moored by M Shed so a lot of boat movements are in the pipeline later this year...none of it positive news for those seeking a berth but in an ideal world there would be room for all, in truth there is virtually no usable space for anyone other than visitors ... there is always Bristol Marina which is usually full, or failing that Portishead Quay, which I understand is now near to capacity also.

In regard to cost, Bristol Harbourside is the cheapest (if you discount Poole's Wharf) Bristol Marina is more expensive but is full and they don't maintain a waiting list .... guess why.... and Portishead Quay is the most expensive of all three but does offer much more in the way of facilities and much more access to the Bristol Channel ...... ballpark figure for a 12.2 metre yacht is £3,300 pa

Anyone any experience of annual mooring in the harbour - not the marina? I was down there today and wondered what security was like and whether it might be a good place to keep the boat. As I live locally I have always fancied the idea of popping down to the boat regular like of an evening but years ago there seemed to be few berths and an enquiry in the harbour office was met with disinterest so I took the hint! lately there seems to have been a vast increase in pontoon berths so I assume they are now in business again though I have no idea what they charge. I know that access to the channel is limited but does it stack up for you?