Bristol Harbour Festival (again)

Csail

N/A
Visit site
We have got pontoon H again. Quite on the ball as well (entry 22) so pop on for a beer if you see 'Bonny Mary' /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif with all her lights on.

LizzyD

Visit site
Sneddon - Sorry to be thick, but where did you get this info pack from? And where are you mooring? Is it in the marina? We were just going to turn up on the Friday and tie up outside the Cottage as usual. Do you recommend a bit of preparation on my behalf?

Lizzy D

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Last year at the festival we took the dinghy up past the cranes, turn right under the bridge and found a tunnel. Anyone know where it goes? It's about the size of London tube. Take torches this year.

Sneds

Visit site
The info pack I have is sent to boats that are "registered" as part of the festival. You need to pay a fee, about £30 I think, and you are then allocated a mooring "in the thick of things."
Visitors moorings should be available at the cottage end of the docks although you may have to raft.
Try calling the Harbour office on 0117 9031484 for mooring info. They do not normally allow pre booking but they will obviously know more than me.
Bare in mind that inbound locks to the docks will be busier than normal, but it is a large lock and I have seen the dock master cram them in and just keep emptying and filling untill everyone is through.
By the way, bring the dingy and outboard!

Sneds

Visit site
We will be moored by Lloyds Bar, in the centre.
You colud try Bristol Marina to see if they have any space, costs a bit more more!

Csail, think I know where you mean, there are quite a few tunnells about though.
A friend of mine keeps The Longbar, a dingy pub in Old Market about 200 yds from the docks, down in the celler there is a tunnell that runs of in the direction of the docks and the original course of the old river.
He did try to explore it once but didn't get far as he was scared!!

wotayottie

Visit site
whats the festival like these days? in the beginning, I think it was even descibed as a regatta and along with lots of yachts from local clubs I used to go every year, but the free pop concert for the yotties stopped, the regatta filled up with ditch crawlers and the sailing spirit seemed to go out of it. nowadays, I dont know a single yottie from my clubs who goes, though there may be one or two.

so is it time to consider going again, or is there nothing special to attract sailors?

Sneds

Visit site
Lots of sailing boats around, and a few historic ones aswell.
Follow the link in the 1st thread and have a look what you think. (click on "ships" at the top)
There does seem to be more going out out of the water than on the water, market, bands etc but a good weekend is usually had, drinking eating chatting etc /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Not sure about that tunnel, but there is another one by the Shot Tower which connects with the River Frome. It is a tremendous (illegal) trip under the city, best done in a kayak, under Castle Green and Broadmead, past the Hippodrome, and emerging at th Watershed by the pontoons.

Very atmospheric and exciting!

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very atmospheric and exciting!

[/ QUOTE ]

I should think it could be very exciting if the Frome flooded /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just read your update on the Fly over on Scuttlebut.What a disaster,I hope she can be repaired,must be well built to survive a stranding on rocks like that.

I dont like to comment on secondhand information but will be interested to hear the official report or if someone speaks to the skipper.

We cant do the Festival this year due to me working unfortunately .

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Illegal in the sense of "no public access" I suppose. Definitely worth the trip though, with a low arched roof of brick or stone, dangling stalactites, and the rumble of traffic overhead!

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
You could do it in a dinghy, but it needs to be manhandled in a couple of places - there is a small cill to get into the main Frome tunnel from the Shot Tower entrance, there is a water control installation further on (I haven't been there since it was rebuilt, but mates have done the trip since), then there is a floating boom to slide over when emerging into the daylight.

The roof is quite low in places (depending on the water level!) but you can get through quite comfortably in a kayak

sb99

Visit site
We will probably give Bristol festival a miss this year and wait until we are a bit more experienced.
We’re more likely to go to Watchet carnival, at least I know the way there now.
Off to Majorca this weekend, cant wait to get back for the boat.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Not taking the boat to Majorca? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I bet you'll miss her!
And wishfully think "I wish we had the boat....."