Bristol Channel - geographic limits??

bluedragon

Visit site
In our early posts, someone asked about what defined the Bristol Channel for forum purposes. We had answers that extended all the way to Ireland! So here's what Wikipedia says (although with what authority I don't know).

"The Bristol Channel (Welsh: Môr Hafren) is a major inlet in the island of Great Britain, separating South Wales from the West Country and extending from the lower estuary of the River Severn (Afon Hafren) to that part of the North Atlantic Ocean known as the Celtic Sea (Môr Celtaidd). It takes its name from the English city of Bristol and is over 30 miles (50 km) across at its widest point.

The lower limit of the Bristol Channel is St Govans Head in Pembrokeshire, Lundy Island, and Hartland Point in Devon. The upper limit is a straight line between Sand Point, Somerset and Lavernock Point in South Wales. East of this line is the Severn estuary. Western and Northern Pembrokeshire and North Cornwall are outside of the limit of the Bristol Channel, and are considered part of the seaboard of the Atlantic Ocean, although Bude in North Cornwall during the industrial era was often called by sailors on their way to Cardiff as "the gateway/entrance to the Bristol Channel"."

So...some major implications here:

Cardiff Bay, Portishead, Newport, etc, are NOT in the Bristol Channel, but the Severn Estuary and all these members need to resign immediately!!

Neither is West Pembs. (that's me out on two counts)...

So guys and gals...are we just going to take this on the chin, or fight back? I suggest we RE-DEFINE the Bristol Channel and put Mr.Wikipedia in his (or her) place...yeh /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

What do YOU think???

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Geographic definition is one thing, usage is another, you troll /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Navigation is tougher above the Holms, and often the conditions as well. Past Gower/Lundy/Hartland I feel like I am in "Sea Area Lundy" and out of the "Channel", but for the purposes of a "community" why not use the corners of the triangle as we have been doing so far?

bluedragon

Visit site
Ahah...so we're really the "Sea Area Lundy Forum" then...doesn't quite slip-off the tongue though does it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Q

quimby

No more posts from me then! Graham can you set up a Severn estuary forum ASAP. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
Well that counts Watchet out !! Could never get a signal there even at HW /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mind you, the town is unchanged since WWII so no big surprise /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

(I luv Watchet really)

bluedragon

Visit site
I'll go along with that...BUT let's be even bolder /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As the indigenous peoples are all descended from the Celts (yes, even Zummerset with a bit of dilution from the Anglos), why not the "Celtic Sea Forum" and then we could bring in our cousins from Cork and Waterford, etc??

Hey...maybe then we'd even get our forum moved up the list...wow!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Sounds like a good plan.... BC & Irish sea Forum. Trouble is then the S.coast will want to join!
(I count Scilly isles as part of this forum)

bluedragon

Visit site
Wow...why didn't I think of that!!

OK let's just stick with our good 'ol Bristol Channel as defined by those mariners of old, rather than the academics of Wiki-whateverthenameis.com.

Land's End to St.David's Head it is...our Irish friends will have to get their own forum (except when they turn left instead of right or vice-versa and end up in Milford of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
Perhaps it could be defined as being for anyone who has made 6 knots over the ground, with no wind or engine, sideways? Or is this just my (in)experience?
Nicki

bluedragon

Visit site
Yup, that seems reasonable! Welcome to our forum Nicki.

Actually as Tonybarebones has been sailing in the channel since before steam was invented, and he says "sea area Lundy" then that's what it is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
anyone who has made 6 knots over the ground, with no wind or engine, sideways? Or is this just my (in)experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
Trouble is we could get people from Cherbourg and the Channel Islands claiming Bristol Channel Status then /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How about allowing anyone who thinks that water this colour and doing 6 knots sideways at tthe same time is normal?

BrownWater.jpg
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
Yes, when we berthed on the pontoon at Dale for the first time, I noticed we had a keel and propeller. I thought they'd dropped off long ago! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Actually, to be honest I was beginning to see the definite outline of these appendages in Ilfracombe...so back to drawing board Graham..."brown" doesn't quite hack it for the whole channel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
I think we should go about 20 miles West of Milford Haven and stick a lighthouse on a rock to mark the outer limit,no hang on someone allready has /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
smalls.jpg