Bristol-Cardiff rigging supplier?

KevinV

Visit site
So, with my little 22'er almost ready to launch a good friend (lifelong sailor, now boatless) came to have a look. He loves the boat and very much wants to come sailing again, without the burden of ownership (his last boat was a Bowman 48DS).
He strongly "suggested" that although the rigging looks fine, for the cost of it I shouldn't put it off for a year as I had planned, but just bite the bullet and do it now. When I argued about budget, and that sails were higher up my list, the reply was simply "how much do you need?". Although I wouldn't take him up on that offer I never, ever go against his advice, he rarely gives it and is invariably right. The mast is down, so taking it all off is easy peasy (though I'll no doubt be back with questions re the furler).

I'd like to deal with a human being rather than a purely "send it off and they send the new ones by return" online outfit, purely because of questions about replacing bottle screws and the like. Where do I go on the Bristol - Cardiff coast? (I'm Monmouth).

Also, not a minor detail, what rough cost should I expect? It's a masthead rig with four lower shrouds, and a guestimate (or preferably recent experience) would be helpful.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I paid £1000 for a 27ft boat in January 2022 from Allspars of Plymouth. We have two inner side stays plus single outer stay and maybe your boat has less.

The cost is bottle screws plus 5mm wire and I doubt you would be advises to go lighter. So what with inflation I fear it wont be less than £1000.

If your mast comes down due age of rigging, I doubt your insurance company would respond favourably and indeed mine insist on replacement at 10 year intervals.

The wire wont snap but corrosion and stress on bottle screw can cause them to disconnect from the wire.

Andy Freemantle has joined Cardiif Marine Services and he did a grand job on our previous boat at £1232 for our 32ft ketch in 2015. He could visit Monmouth if you did not feel able to take rigging to him

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Andy Freemantle has a good reputation across S Wales.

I have just had my 24’ masthead boat backstay, babystay and four shrouds replaced for £780 inc lowering and raising the mast. It didn’t include bottle screws as they were inspected as sound. I’m too far west for Andy, I used a Pembrokeshire rigger, but Andy did competent work for me when my boat was at Cardiff.

Last edited:

KevinV

Visit site
Just to report back - I spoke to Andy yesterday, went to see him today with all the standing rigging. He was very busy, but made the time to check it all over, replace the forestay, supply a matching bottlescrew that I wasn't happy with, and declare the rest fit. When the boat is in the water he'll set the rig tension for me.

Great guy, I will add my name to the list of people here who heartily recommend him (and thank you to those who did). (y)