Bringing a boat back from Mallorca

stevie123

Visit site
I am planning to bring a 50 foot sports cruiser back from Mallorca to the U.K. has anyone got any advice? what is safest, by road or by ship?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

There are a number of schools of thought here. One way is to sail her back yourself, the second way to stick her one of these boat transporter ships leaving from Palma or Gib and the third way is by truck from mainland Spain or France
I've just had my boat transported from Holland to Port Napoleon (near Marseille) by truck and I will take her on to Palma by sea. Truck transport is ideal for sports cruisers because there should be little prep work to do (most flybridge cruisers have to have most of the flybridge removed due to height restrictions). A couple of years ago I took a Targa 48 back from La Rague in SoF to Southampton using Peters & May and did it on a return load basis for only £3k. A return load is where the truck would otherwise have returned empty and is therefore cheaper. My present boat was transported by Van der Wetering who are also very good. That cost about £7k but I was in a rush
Safety wise I'm not sure there's much in it. Just make sure you get extra insurance for the trip as truck transport companies only give you basic CMR insurance which wont cover the value of the boat
In your position, I would sail the boat to Port Napoleon, L'Estartit or La Rague and get her trucked from there either to a Channel port or direct to UK. Maybe wait for November or December when there's less boat trucking activity and wait for a cheap return load price

stewart

Visit site
I took mine the other way from Poole to Alcudia a few years ago. Did it by Lorry from Poole to Montpelier and then sailed from there to Barcelona and then down to Mallorca in a day. I'd recommend this in reverse, it was a good fun trip, though you can probably save some cash by putting it in the water in France and sailing the channel too - I think that the hauliers have to pay a fortune to go on the ferries so avoiding that saves quite a bit. Boat arrived very dirty but otherwise fine. If you're interested I can find the name of the company that did it.