Brindisi - Corfu Regatta

RupertW

Visit site
Anyone here done this race?
We're gonna give it a go in an itsi-bitsi Elan 310, a Pocket Rocket, yes...but still tiny!!!

We’ve done the passage a few times but not the race. Sounds fun and I don’t think a 310 is small for that sort of passage. When we first did the 120nm trip from Plymouth to Chanel du four (with 40 miles after that) in a 30 footer it felt huge and safe compared to the little GK24 we usually used for the passage.

Enjoy and be glad you are going downhill to Corfu. Alas our boat will be up on the hard in Brindisi in June.

RupertW

Visit site
Not necessarily downhill. With south winds that area gets really nasty.

As it would do as wind against current - the water is downhill from Venice to the toe of Italy and the route from Corfu has only a little of the weaker northerly current on the Albanian side but a lot of the stronger southerly current on the Italian side. Sometimes I've found the Italian current light but in 2016 after weeks of strong northerly winds in the Adriatic the current was a good 3 knots in places but mostly at least 2. Beating up the coast for 40 miles was not fun (engine not working thanks to a fool's error on our part)

cmedsailor

Visit site
As it would do as wind against current - the water is downhill from Venice to the toe of Italy and the route from Corfu has only a little of the weaker northerly current on the Albanian side but a lot of the stronger southerly current on the Italian side. Sometimes I've found the Italian current light but in 2016 after weeks of strong northerly winds in the Adriatic the current was a good 3 knots in places but mostly at least 2. Beating up the coast for 40 miles was not fun (engine not working thanks to a fool's error on our part)

Passage from Viz to Corfu last year in April against 25 knots South wind and waves of 3-4 meter was not fun either.
But because we, sailors, are masochism I say ...."it was a good experience"!

Cariadco

Visit site
Many thanks for your replies.
We'll make some plans/allowances for the tides, but the red mist might descend, if we're in the middle of a pack of boats!! ie, all plans go out of the window..... just pass the boat in front, and don't let the ones behind, pass us!!

AndrewB

Visit site
Good luck Cariadco! Sounds fun.

We crossed Brindisi - Corfu last June, N F6 moderating to NW F5, with a moderate sea despite an earlier gale.

The powerful Albanian light at Cape Qefalit was a great help leading us in along the north Corfu coast. I was a bit worried about sweeping in towards Peristerai Rock in the night with a fresh wind behind, as it now seems unlit (or at least, so faint as to be almost useless) and it is a narrow passage just there with quite strong currents. Fortunately we spotted a ferry boat going through, so could follow.

Last edited:

Cariadco

Visit site
Just got back to Corfu, after delivering the boat to the Brindisi Marina. Straightforward enough sail, took us 22 hours, Marina to Marina, with a F5-6 Broad reach most of the way.
Caught the Grimaldy Lines Ferry back to Igominetsa and a couple of observations for your perusal!!
A Taxi from the marina had to go outside of the town, to come all the way back in, to get to the Ferry terminal 40 euros!! but in all fairness, he did inform me of this, before I jumped into the Taxi.
The ferry was full of Albanians, Romanians etc and within 5 mins of getting on board, every sofa or nice chair was grabbed by people sleeping, children, plastic bags and luggage. The only chairs available were McDonalds type.....Yeeah, very comfy for 8 hours!!
So, on the return to Brindisi, I'm in a room!! sod the expense!!

SPWiddy

Visit site
Shame we did not meet, could have given you a lift, we have been livaboard in the marina for the last 15 months, so normally around. Bus from marina is cheap 2 euro will get you to ferry port.

Cariadco

Visit site
Shame we did not meet, could have given you a lift, we have been livaboard in the marina for the last 15 months, so normally around. Bus from marina is cheap 2 euro will get you to ferry port.

Thanks for that, maybe we'll see you when we're back to prepare for the regatta. I get there on Monday the 4th June. The Boat's called Velox and she's on pier L/K, about half way down.

Cariadco

Visit site
Well, we're back, all safe and sound. A somewhat frustrating regatta. Loads of wind out off Italy and down the coast, turned left for Corfu, good winds overnight and got to North of the island and...stopped dead in the water. No bloody wind at all. Took like all day to do 18 miles!! Didn't even reach the finish line before they called time. We were doing ok until Corfu, about mid field and first in Class!!.
About 50 finished and just over 50 failed to get to the line.
Oh well, maybe next year??
In passing, the Food available in Brindisi was outstanding. Delicious and Cheap!! Even on the fancy Harbourside restaraunts.