Breath tests

G

This idea of breath test for recreation boaters is just another example of legislation going mad!!! It is a solution looking for a problem.I totally agree that commercial shipping/boaters even competition recreational boating should be "dry", but ordinary recreational weekend boating should only be breath tested in the case of an accident. If the cause of the accident is alchohol related then the person concerned should be in serious trouble. However, I am still waiting to hear about the first case where having a drink on board has caused a serious mishap. All the boating fraternity that I have mixed with over the last few years have are very responsible people, but still enjoy the odd tipple.

G

save your breath. prescott has decided - its on the way what ever you or i might say.

G

I'm not sure there is any sound basis for objecting to this legislation. True, I do not know if there is a serious present problem. I do remember vaguely a comment that there is a problem in some harbours. However I'm not at all convinced that the minimum necessary crew on a boatanywhere except in a marina, and not always there, can afford to be incapable of manging their boat. You might have to cut and run if at anchor when the wind gets up. Other possibilities can be thought up by any competent sailor. Emergencies are never very far away on a boat. In addition staionary boats are inherently less safe environments than stationary cars. You dont usually cook in a car and you can always jump out and run away from it if you set it alight.

G

It would be nice to see some statistics on pleasure boat/alcohol related accidents. I've not seen any in a lifetime of boating, and the only serious boating accidents I have come across have been down to inexperience rather than drink or the condition of the vessel (who needs BSS!!!??). I believe the whole issue is a knee jerk reaction to the Bow Belle/Marchioness accident which occured over ten years ago and nothing like it since. Why can't 'they' leave us alone !!!

G

I think the tests are silly for most recreational sailors, but I can recall many accidents in ships due to alcohol. Even one or two in yachts. But I do not feel it is a serious issue that needs draconian laws. Mostly we look after our own.

Mind you, the Hamble at the weekend!!

G

Getting plastered and taking off into busy shipping channels isn't something that anyone would support. Would Prescott agree that being tipsy in the kitchen could be a safety hazard, or perhaps even crossing the road on the way back from the pub could be risky; if so maybe we'll see a raft of other regulations imposed on our dialy lives. Governments should introduce legislation where real problems are evident - not simply as a way of portraying themselves as "action orientated" in the face of a major disaster as was the case with the Marcheonesse (is that the right spelling?). Seems to me to be rather like the banning of guns - I mean since when did terrorists and the like give a damn about owning an illegal weapon?