Bradwell Marina Bar service issues

Chalk

Visit site
Green Man at Bradwell - generally excellent. Had one bad meal there in ten years.
King's Head Bradwell - it's a long walk to find out that their published opening hours don't reflect actual opening hours.

ianc1200

Visit site
"King's Head Bradwell - it's a long walk to find out that their published opening hours don't reflect actual opening hours."

This is a very good general point; have learned the hard way not to believe opening hours published online - telephone and ask are you opening/serving food - anywhere now, particularly Sundays.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
"King's Head Bradwell - it's a long walk to find out that their published opening hours don't reflect actual opening hours."

This is a very good general point; have learned the hard way not to believe opening hours published online - telephone and ask are you opening/serving food - anywhere now, particularly Sundays.

That is so annoying !

I find it hard to see the logic behind it. "We are not taking any orders for food, because it was quiet". Really, well it isn't going to get any busier if your not taking orders, is it ?

This is almost a daily occurrence at the Shipwreck, which is nuts as they live there, they even close the bar early though. Also happened to me a couple of times recently at the Rose. Both times the Rose stopped serving early we went to the Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill,, who were busy and opened until the published times. Always good food, regular menu changes and very reasonable prices at the Butt, good atmosphere and nice staff too, my favourite eatery on the whole peninsula.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
That is so annoying !

I find it hard to see the logic behind it. "We are not taking any orders for food, because it was quiet". Really, well it isn't going to get any busier if your not taking orders, is it ?

This is almost a daily occurrence at the Shipwreck, which is nuts as they live there, they even close the bar early though. Also happened to me a couple of times recently at the Rose. Both times the Rose stopped serving early we went to the Butt and Oyster at Pin Mill,, who were busy and opened until the published times. Always good food, regular menu changes and very reasonable prices at the Butt, good atmosphere and nice staff too, my favourite eatery on the whole peninsula.

My experience of Deben Inns pubs has always been good. The Butt, the Maybush at Waldringfield and the Coach and Horses at Melton have all been excellent...

morgandlm

Visit site
Roger, you are quite correct. It is a decent location and some of the bar staff are friendly but Mick distinctly unwelcoming (almost hostile). My wife makes a regular pilgrimage in to the bar to complain about the condition of the ladies toilets which oddly seem to be generally much worse that the mens. She usually just gets a grumpy response. The terrace, as others have said, is a nice place to sit with a pint but the bar itself not great. Whenever I go up to Titchmarsh, SYH or Woodbridge I am very envious of their excellent shower and toilet facilities and the cleanliness. I think these places actually employ a cleaner rather than somebody who wanders in and flushes a few loos which is what it looks like at Bradwell.
David

MoodySabre

Visit site
Roger, you are quite correct. It is a decent location and some of the bar staff are friendly but Mick distinctly unwelcoming (almost hostile). My wife makes a regular pilgrimage in to the bar to complain about the condition of the ladies toilets which oddly seem to be generally much worse that the mens. She usually just gets a grumpy response. The terrace, as others have said, is a nice place to sit with a pint but the bar itself not great. Whenever I go up to Titchmarsh, SYH or Woodbridge I am very envious of their excellent shower and toilet facilities and the cleanliness. I think these places actually employ a cleaner rather than somebody who wanders in and flushes a few loos which is what it looks like at Bradwell.
David
David I'm glad it's not just me. Your wife should write to the marina and complain. The men's loos are better than they used to be but still not great. After 4 weeks in Holland you realise that things can be done properly. Berthing is much cheaper and loos and showers always immaculate, even ones left open all day for the public.

johnalison

Visit site
Titchmarsh loos & showers are OK but I wouldn't call them luxurious. It is true that they have a cleaner; she was busy cleaning the ladies' at 9am on Sunday morning! We encountered a similar problem at SYH. Their loos are fairly spacious but hardly well designed. I may be fussy, but I do think that showers and loos should have some degree of separation.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
Maybe we've just been lucky but the Bradwell Marina Bar has always been great as far as we are concerned. Rush hour at weekend lunchtimes does seem to mean a long wait to get served though. The Green Man is always excellent and the Kings Head is good but doesn't do much in the way of bar snacks - its full meals only.

Marmalade

Visit site
That is so annoying !

We couldn't eat at 8pm one evening in the Shipwreck cos they'd closed the kitchen - had a very acceptable meal at the Bristol Arms...

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
David
I can confirm that Titchmarsh uses cleaners on a daily basis; one of them is great friends with our dog!

Daydream believer

Visit site
Our boat has been at Bradwell over the winter, and we'll be there for a couple of weeks yet.

Just to put another point of view: we love the Marina Bar, and have used it fairly regularly.

On a sunny evening, the verandah is a lovely spot to watch the sun go down.

The beer is good, and sensibly priced.

The food is basic, but we've always enjoyed it.

We've found it a welcoming, helpful, enjoyable place to spend a bit of time: never experienced any rudeness, unhelpfulness or surly service.

I like it!
I tend to agree. We often go there with friends for a light meal and find staff ok and fine for friendly chat if not too busy.. But if you decide to go to the Green Man instead the marina owner will not mind as he owns that as well!!

NUTMEG

www.theblindsailor.co.uk
Green Man, Bradwell, the only pub I have ever come across that would not allow my guide dog in, whilst we had a meal. Offered us a space in the bar but not in the Resturant “because of the carpets”. Illegal but I couldn’t be arsed to follow it up, but have never forgotten it. Told the owner/manager to stick his pub where the sun don’t shine. Ignorant and rude.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Green Man, Bradwell, the only pub I have ever come across that would not allow my guide dog in, whilst we had a meal. Offered us a space in the bar but not in the Resturant “because of the carpets”. Illegal but I couldn’t be arsed to follow it up, but have never forgotten it. Told the owner/manager to stick his pub where the sun don’t shine. Ignorant and rude.

Yup. The woman there sat and glared at us until we drank up and left. I’ve never, ever felt so unwelcome in a pub.

Daydream believer

Visit site

Did you really need the guide dog with you in the bar?
i , for one, hate dogs in public places especially where one eats. Whilst i appreciate guide dogs are well trained and not of the usual kind i still have a fear of them, so in a way i tend to understand the landlords refusal.
You must have been with somebody, so not dependant on the dog.
Of course rudeness is not acceptable, but neither is it nice to tell them where to stick their pub and ther is often 2 sides to a story

Last edited:

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Did you really need the guide dog with you in the bar?
i , for one, hate dogs in public places especially where one eats. Whilst i appreciate guide dogs are well trained and not of the usual kind i still have a fear of them, so in a way i tend to understand the landlords refusal.
Of course rudeness is not acceptable, but neither is it nice to tell them where to stick their pub and ther is often 2 sides to a story

Speaking as someone who has come close to losing sight, I have little sympathy with the view that guide dogs are not welcome in food areas, or indeed anywhere else. Neither does the law and that’s been around now for 23 years. Page 4 might be helpful. https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/media/5350/food-premises-access-guide.pdf

matthewriches

www.matthewriches.co.uk
Beat me to it...

"Service providers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that disabled people can access services. This includes amending a ‘no dogs’ policy to allow guide dogs and other assistance dogs."

You must have been with somebody, so not dependant on the dog.

So what do you then do with the guide dog that is trained to stay with you at all times? They're not the sort of dog that you tie up out the front and walk away from, and infact by doing this, you can undermine the dogs training.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
PS I don’t think there can be two sides to that story, it was a binary decision; are guide dogs allowed, or not? There’s no grey area.
I was referring to the rudeness issue.
by the way - my mother was a blind person for the last 10 years of her life and partially blind for 30 years before that and with a daughter who is partially sighted i am aware of problems of those with sight deficiencies. So i am not just being cynical

Last edited:

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
I was referring to the rudeness issue.
by the way - my mother was a blind person for the last 10 years of her life and partially blind for 30 years before that and with a daughter who is partially sighted i am aware of problems of those with sight deficiencies. So i am not just being cynical

Sadly, reading through the other Tripadvisor negative reviews, rudeness seems to be the common currency at the Green Man. A cynic (me) might feel that all they were after was money and an easy life.
Sorry to hear that about you mum and daughter, its a horrible, horrible condition. I was extremely fortunate that my treatment was rapid and expert, otherwise I would not be as able as I am.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
Have to disagree about the Green Man too. Again maybe we have just been lucky but we've always had great food and a good time.

On the subject of dogs, no excuse for the guide dog incident but once at the Green Man we sat next to the door and an incoming dog jumped up at me as we were eating. Unhygienic and unnerving as it jumped up from behind me.

I don't subscribe to the 'he's only being friendly' school of thought. As an ex dog owner I think if you can't control your dog you should't take it into an environment where people are eating.

Rant over but 'I love my dog you should too.......' is not an acceptable point of view.