Bow rollors £65.00 each,bollards £55.00 each

jimi

Visit site
"There is a large amount of knowledge on this fora and you will soon be found out with statements like you have made re casting stainless steel but I don;t wish to be quite as blunt as Cliff was"

I dont understand this comment, its been taken out of the real context.

Also if stainless steel was that hard a job then powered steel could be mixed into an epoxy (some epoxies have been claimed to be harder than steel though steel has properties not found in epoxies (all depends on the desired results).

Hmmm ... just cast your stuff in epoxy and ignore the steel, then.

sarabande

Visit site
Ben, it's not just "hardness" but malleability, corrosion resistance, ductility, yield and tensile stress, and many other chemical and physical properties that need to be taken into consideration.

At best a mixture of epoxy and metal powder will be able to make an identical shape, but the performance will be crushingly different.

You have lots of ideas, but you do need to do a bit of reading up before you float them. Current technology is the product of something 300 years observation and thought. Most people spend at least three years learning the theory, and the best part of a lifetime discovering the best practice.

Have a read through the BBC "bite-size" pages on metals
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/rocks/metalsrev5.shtml

sarabande

Visit site
I guess that our replies are based on the content of your original questions and suggestions, so if they are not clear and focused, then perhaps that would be a starting point for improvement.

jimi

Visit site
Ben, it's not just "hardness" but malleability, corrosion resistance, ductility, yield and tensile stress, and many other chemical and physical properties that need to be taken into consideration.

At best a mixture of epoxy and metal powder will be able to make an identical shape, but the performance will be crushingly different.

You have lots of ideas, but you do need to do a bit of reading up before you float them. Current technology is the product of something 300 years observation and thought. Most people spend at least three years learning the theory, and the best part of a lifetime discovering the best practice.

Have a read through the BBC "bite-size" pages on metals
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/aqa_pre_2011/rocks/metalsrev5.shtml

With due respect Sarbande, many epoxies and modern resins are of very recent development and use of the correct one would be an improvement on steel, however the required investment in money, time and technology may be offputing to some ;-)

sarabande

Visit site
maybe our wildcard thinker has something worth following up ? A quick course on sintering is perhaps called for ?

Ben Dockrell 22

Visit site
Its amazing the amount of assuming going on in here, you just assume all you want to.

If you think im going to waste my time while you try to leach information out of me when you have no VALID reason to be doing so i will very much keep hold on the videos i have made so far of your actions on these boards. I have also passed copies onto friends for safe keeping.

All who have been so silly and ignorant towards me will simply be ignored from this point on as will the rest who go down these roads in future.

Wandering Star

Visit site
I'm with Ben on this, I was recently staggered at the cost of Lewmar winches in the swindleries so bought several stainless bollards and melted them down using my BBQ and a saucepan. The result is 2 beautiful self tailers for less than a quarter of the cost of shop bought ones. Result.

Cheers, Brian.

paul.norton

Visit site
I'm with Ben on this, I was recently staggered at the cost of Lewmar winches in the swindleries so bought several stainless bollards and melted them down using my BBQ and a saucepan. The result is 2 beautiful self tailers for less than a quarter of the cost of shop bought ones. Result.

Cheers, Brian.

Some BBQ - I expect you like your steaks well done:D

P

RFML

Visit site
Its amazing the amount of assuming going on in here, you just assume all you want to.

If you think im going to waste my time while you try to leach information out of me when you have no VALID reason to be doing so i will very much keep hold on the videos i have made so far of your actions on these boards. I have also passed copies onto friends for safe keeping.

All who have been so silly and ignorant towards me will simply be ignored from this point on as will the rest who go down these roads in future.

Oh, yeah, Eddie Stalkperch!! :D

I seriously couldn't have found a better time to join these forums. This guy is gold!

IanH

Visit site

Crikey, do you know where I live as well?:eek:

flipper

Visit site

Cheers, Brian.

Count yourself hired! If you can make a pair of ST'ers for a quarter of the cost I'll pay you half the cost to make a set for me.
Let me know where to send the cheque...:p

electrosys

Boston - gateway to the North Sea (and bugger all
Visit site
Ben - I agree with you that the cost of deck fittings are OTT. But a more realistic solution would be either to cast 'em in aluminium or bronze, or to fabricate in stainless steel.

Personally, I favour the latter 'cause I've already got welding kit, but I keep promising myself that I'll have a go at casting one day. So for the last few years I've been collecting worn-out bronze fittings and also have a stack of bronze coinage (shhh ...) from when coins actually were made from bronze.

Aluminium is a bit trickier, as you need to know for certain that the grade you're about to cast with is suitable for marine use - and there are an awful lot of grades of ally which aren't.

Visit site

Cheers, Brian.

That's an expensive way to do it.

You'd save a fortune if you just bought some steel and bunged in a bit of Nickel, a bit of Chromium, a few other bits and pieces, maybe some multi vitamins and Bob's your stainless uncle.

You'll get the cost down to one eighth. May I order mine now?

Terra-Loon

Visit site
I mad some boom cleats today by cooking down some 5p's in a spoon then jigging it around into the right shape while it cooled.

I videoed the process but I cant let you watch it.

Oh no, no way.