Boulogne Entry / Exit

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Hi everyone

I am really struggling to find the latest information regarding Boulogne. I see that it is listed as part of the email scheme, but I can't find any information about how one implements this.

Does anyone have any practical experience of this? We'd like to go there, but not have the hassle of getting the train to Calais!

Thanks

David

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
It's been reported in various recent posts on here that contrary to the published information there is no customs/immigration office in Boulogne (since the ferry stopped years ago), and they were, at least until very recently, unable to do the simplified check in at the marina (you'd have to travel to the office in Calais). They were hoping to put in place some means of doing it (it must be affecting their trade), but there was when last reported no certainty about when this might happen.

Please do report back here if you get any update from the marina.

bluerm166

Visit site
They are on the list of eligible marinas (as are many other marinas which are at PAF manned/associated ports) so send them the form .
Note that you have to be coming from a port outside the schengen area or departing to a port outside the schengen area.
I assume that they will transmit the form ,they don't have to send someone on the bus.
This form for 'exceptional ' entering or leaving France has existed since Schengen became relevant to us - and has been used by authorities further west -away from the migrant area -the new agreement seems to promote and extend its use in set circumstances.

st599

Visit site
They are on the list of eligible marinas (as are many other marinas which are at PAF manned/associated ports) so send them the form .
Note that you have to be coming from a port outside the schengen area or departing to a port outside the schengen area.
I assume that they will transmit the form ,they don't have to send someone on the bus.
This form for 'exceptional ' entering or leaving France has existed since Schengen became relevant to us - and has been used by authorities further west -away from the migrant area -the new agreement seems to promote and extend its use in set circumstances.
Eligible marina is one eligible to implement the new system, not all of them have and as of last month, reporting on here was that Boulogne hasn't.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
They won't implement it if there is no demand.

They - the marina - know there is demand, and want it themselves, and have very recently said they are unable to do it at present, but there are moves to try to put in place arrangements to do so.

They will obviously need the cooperation of the officials in Calais, over 20 miles away, for whom it will be additional work. French officialdom is not renowned for its flexibility.

Until they confirm that can operate the flexible arrangements, leisure craft visitors to Boulogne will need to either check in somewhere else first, or travel to the Calais office to be checked in.

Habebty

Visit site
I like Boulogne, When I found myself within a day sail’s distance a couple of weeks ago, the thought of popping over for a night or two entered my mind then rapidly left with the thought of the faff required these days.
Calais might be ok as a passage stop but not for a jolly - in my mind.

johnalison

Visit site
I like Boulogne, When I found myself within a day sail’s distance a couple of weeks ago, the thought of popping over for a night or two entered my mind then rapidly left with the thought of the faff required these days.
Calais might be ok as a passage stop but not for a jolly - in my mind
If I have a soft spot for Calais it is only because it was our first foreign trip. I haven’t been lately but in those days it was just rafting outside the club and then queuing for the phone to contact anxious relatives back home.

Boulogne has more going for it. There is something about in the air that tells me where I am, even with my eyes closed.

johnalison

Visit site
Our first visit was in ‘78 with a club mate. We were gale bound for nearly a week (= F5-bound) and gained in-depth knowledge of very cheap wine. During one ‘restaurant’ visit the proprietor tossed a jumping-jack under the table of a next-door restaurant’s customers to liven things up. They make them like that any more, fortunately perhaps.

bluerm166

Visit site
So the 'new' agreement of 1st.June has actually brought no change or foreseeable change to the inconvenience of entering Boulogne since the marina,for one reason or another, does not operate the simple system for boats arriving 'exceptionally' from or departing to a non-schengen country.
It seems that this is going to be the case for the Pas de Calais and Nord where the need to visit a PAF office continues.
I wrote to the Dunkerque authorities at the weekend asking for their current response to the 'new' agreement and Monday morning received written confirmation that they do not have the system in place ( as expected) and gave no indication that it was in any way imminent.
So I imagine that things will continue as they unfortunately are until the long awaited Schengen-wide new system is operable.Even then it would not be surprising if in this Northern corner, where admittedly the PAF must be highly stressed , an exception is made.Strange then that this formal list of marinas includes those in this area at all.
Disappointment is tempered somewhat in the consideration that ,if you are actually heading east at the beginning of a passage, simply touching down in a French marina on your way to Belgium and beyond doesn't anyway bring you into the scope of the reduced scheme.

Daydream believer

Visit site
On my way home from middle burg one year I sailed to Dunkirk, then boulogne ( which I like) then Dieppe where I logged out of schengan
On my way back to Dover I stopped at boulogne for a couple of days on the pretext of engine issues . However, no one bothered me. If they had I would have said that I was sailing to Calais to sign in again and gone straight to Dover. I doubt anyone
gave a toss
My friend also signed out at Dieppe and dropped in at boulogne “for fuel”. The staff did not query & if they had he would have told them he was on his way round the French coast & had logged in but fail to mention logging out

Last edited: