Botnia Targa vs. Sargo

ss2016

Visit site
Mcgeeky and all who replied. Thanks, lots of useful thoughts there. Still mulling things over. Like small nooks and crannies so the smaller boat is attractive and one has to stop spend g somewhere!
First trip will be Finland to Falmouth, but perhaps two summers to do it. Anyone been that way?
Thanks again.

Bandit

Visit site
There was a chap on here who bought A Channel Islands 32 in Finland and brought it back, the report was on here and in Motor Boat or Motor Boat and Yachting I think, it went down the West Country.

Found it ! wizzer http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?494793-Turku-to-Falmouth&highlight=finland

Scubaman posts here regularly and lives and has his boat in Finland would be worth talking to http://www.ybw.com/forums/member.php?19663-scubaman

See also [h=1]Bente Aust about her Volvo Penta D6-400 engine: ”It’s my best friend”[/h]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXf5x6ycRBI

We went from Bergen to Tromso at the end of January on a Hurtigruten, very cold, ice and snow everywhere. What I was amazed to see was the number of people using their boats in these conditions for commuting, mainly Botnia Targa, Sargo, Paragon etc. All wheelhouse jobs i assume with Eberspacher heaters.

Last edited:

Jsu

Visit site
Just a quick comment, we bought a Sargo 33 and had it now for 3 seasons, living in Denmark and cruising local waters and Swedish west coast. We also looked at the various options and very happy with the choice With the mixed summers we get here the wheelhouse layout just makes a lot of sense, and the walk around decks makes single handling and docking easy and the boat feels very safe.

The Danish importer has made a nice video of the 33.

https://youtu.be/p2hQKUplkis

If buying again, would look at the new 31 aft door if you are ok with a single engine and the 33 for double, its the two most modern layouts in the series and the extra passage out through the aft door makes it even easier to move around compared to the older style layout with only side doors.

CLB

Visit site
Just a quick comment, we bought a Sargo 33 and had it now for 3 seasons, living in Denmark and cruising local waters and Swedish west coast. We also looked at the various options and very happy with the choice With the mixed summers we get here the wheelhouse layout just makes a lot of sense, and the walk around decks makes single handling and docking easy and the boat feels very safe.

The Danish importer has made a nice video of the 33.

https://youtu.be/p2hQKUplkis

If buying again, would look at the new 31 aft door if you are ok with a single engine and the 33 for double, its the two most modern layouts in the series and the extra passage out through the aft door makes it even easier to move around compared to the older style layout with only side doors.

The 31 is available with twin engines.

GSY85

Visit site
Hi all,

I see this thread has a new lease of life recently. I have tried to reply but for some reason after writing a long reply, the message would disappear / time out or similar. This hopefully won’t happen with this new version...

Thanks to everyone who has commented with their views and experiences. I viewed the Sargo 28 and 31 aft door at the Southampton boat show, and was very impressed. The interior felt so much more modern to me, and I think the use of space in the forward cabin is excellent. Loads of good features for us and think it actually trumps the Targa for me. There are a couple of 36’s over here which look incredible. I’m hoping to get across to the UK in January and will schedule a visit to Sargo then to have a more detailed look, if they have one there of course. In recent months the exchange rate has really made these boats very expensive but I’m hoping that if the pound continues to strengthen then they could ‘just’ fall in to the budget.

Thanks again,
Jack

MRC

Visit site
We wanted a boat to use in the UK all year round. Looked at most of the boats on this thread.
Ended up going for a Targa 32 which is due for delivery next Month.
She will be berthed in Ocean Village, Southampton

. If anyone is ever interested in a sea trial or vieiwng dock side just ping me a message.

Sarnian

Visit site
Hi all,

I see this thread has a new lease of life recently. I have tried to reply but for some reason after writing a long reply, the message would disappear / time out or similar. This hopefully won’t happen with this new version...

Thanks to everyone who has commented with their views and experiences. I viewed the Sargo 28 and 31 aft door at the Southampton boat show, and was very impressed. The interior felt so much more modern to me, and I think the use of space in the forward cabin is excellent. Loads of good features for us and think it actually trumps the Targa for me. There are a couple of 36’s over here which look incredible. I’m hoping to get across to the UK in January and will schedule a visit to Sargo then to have a more detailed look, if they have one there of course. In recent months the exchange rate has really made these boats very expensive but I’m hoping that if the pound continues to strengthen then they could ‘just’ fall in to the budget.
Thanks again,
Jack
[/QUOTE

Hi Jack,

just out of interest did you go for the Sargo, if so which one and what’s your thoughts?

waterworldcat

Visit site
We wanted a boat to use in the UK all year round. Looked at most of the boats on this thread.
Ended up going for a Targa 32 which is due for delivery next Month.
She will be berthed in Ocean Village, Southampton

. If anyone is ever interested in a sea trial or vieiwng dock side just ping me a message.
Hi MRC - thinking about the T32 - would you have time for a chat ? I don't know how to send a message other than this reply to your post - only just joined to read up on this exact topic - do message me if you have that ability. thanks !

MRC

Visit site
Hi MRC - thinking about the T32 - would you have time for a chat ? I don't know how to send a message other than this reply to your post - only just joined to read up on this exact topic - do message me if you have that ability. thanks !
Anytime - send me number and will Whatapp. We have just sold our T32 but I think I would say its the best boat we have ever owned.

waterworldcat

Visit site
Anytime - send me number and will Whatapp. We have just sold our T32 but I think I would say its the best boat we have ever owned.
I just joined - seem to be unable to send a "PM" if you could send one to me ? Congrats on the next one - which is that ?

benjenbav

Visit site
I just joined - seem to be unable to send a "PM" if you could send one to me ? Congrats on the next one - which is that ?
Think you have to have made a few posts on the public forum first. Maybe 10?

And then there’s the formal interview, of course. I’m not saying it will help if you wear a Breton cap; but it can’t do any harm. 😁

Lodestone

Visit site
We're T37 owners (sailors really but time poor;) ) with another model on the way in Dec. Feel free to PM with any questions and I'll help if I can.

Farmer Piles

Visit site
My good mate has a Targa 27 and just taking delivery of a new 27.2 as he so liked the first one. They would spend many nights per season on her and regularly go to Scilly for up to a week at a time - we are in Falmouth.
Having spent many hours on the 27, I would say that the forward seating area in the Targa is a huge bonus. So often in a cockpit you end up in the shade of an evening when you could do with the sun. Because it is a sunken area you are largely out of the wind too. And you still have the aft area too.