Bootlace ferrules

zoidberg

Visit site
Are they worth fitting to each and every electrical 'device' connection on board? Are there pros and cons?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
If the device has a pressure plate under the screw, it was designed for bare stranded wire. If the screw bears directly on the wire, it was designed for solid wire and can damamge bare strands. What the bootlace does is convert stranded wire to solid wire. with some connectors that is better, with some (Wago for example) it is not.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Should they more properly be called 'aiguilletes'.... a word borrowed, of course, from The French?

So far off topic ...

From Wiki:
"There is a subtle distinction between aglets, which are generally functional, and aiguillettes, which are generally decorative. Aiguillettes usually appear at the end of decorative cords, such as bolo ties and the cords on military dress uniforms."

Mine generarally devolve to either heat shrink (good) or melted (lazy).

Binnacle

Visit site
A couple of possible risks:

the metal from which they are made - a source of corrosion unless you can get the spec from the maker ?

and like a soldered terminal in multi-strand wire, there's a hard point at the junction of the ferrule and the wire. I have seen comments on here about vibration breaking copper wire at such points.

Just to worry you, of course !

PaulRainbow

Visit site

the metal from which they are made - a source of corrosion unless you can get the spec from the maker ?

and like a soldered terminal in multi-strand wire, there's a hard point at the junction of the ferrule and the wire. I have seen comments on here about vibration breaking copper wire at such points.

Any half decent terminals should be made from tin plated copper. as per DIN 46288 Part 4 .

Bootlace ferules don't create any more of a hard point than any other crimp terminal, Wago connector, junction block etc.

colind3782

Visit site

I use them a lot but I have got into the habit of putting a drop of Contralube on all connections whether "needed" or not.

bluerm166

Visit site
Have used bootlace ferrules on the very fine signal wires found in the mast cable for NASA wind indicator so that a connecting block can be used internally at the foot of the mast -in the hope that they will save losing cable conductor length over at least the next mast drop and of course provide a good clamp .