Boaty mc boatface 2

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I remember talking to a 3rd year geography undergraduate early 70s with him saying he was going to buy a small boat when he graduated and sail around the world via coastlines.

Humm thats interesting ; a few years ago a fella in North Kent , decided to sail to the South Coast ; he had a Road Map , and understood that if he kept turning Right when going along the Coast he would be ok ; well upon leaving the Medway he turned right into the Swale , then exited the Swale back into the Medway by turning Right , again ; confused he sought assistance /help from the Coast Guard ; yea its all so so simple to some ; but these Cross Channel first timers seem to do it ok ?

Alan S

Visit site
Nothing on telly last night so I watched his videos. Bit of a slog. I was rather surprised that his intended route was South Atlantic, Indian Ocean, North of Australia, CAPE HORN and home with stops. In 10 or 11 months.

chris-s

Visit site
It’s ok, he had a sextant, 12 months of food and an adjustable wrench. Either way, fortunately it seems nobody was harmed, physically at least and it’s probably a blessing that it ended like this, it could have been far worse in so many other ways.

Wansworth

Visit site
A digital savvy would be sailer can master quickly the use of gps and digital charts of the world and pick up enough on internet to get an idea what they should be doing,and if they get a slant on leaving Falmouth and get clear they have time to sort things out,but you need a certain amount of luck which the maninquestion seems to have run out off the French coast,leaving too late with winds ,which have been favorable almost all summer to get to Spain turning SW

Juan Twothree

Visit site
Humm thats interesting ; a few years ago a fella in North Kent , decided to sail to the South Coast ; he had a Road Map , and understood that if he kept turning Right when going along the Coast he would be ok ; well upon leaving the Medway he turned right into the Swale , then exited the Swale back into the Medway by turning Right , again ; confused he sought assistance /help from the Coast Guard ; yea its all so so simple to some ; but these Cross Channel first timers seem to do it ok ?

Not quite. He didn't go back into the Medway.

It was quite misty, and he did indeed follow the north coast of Sheppey, then turned right into the East Swale.

It was only when it started to get shallow, and he could see land on both sides, that he realised he had gone wrong, and requested assistance.

At the time, the papers had maps showing him going round Sheppey several times. Which is a far funnier story than what actually happened, but not remotely true.

laika

Visit site
Is it my imagination or have all the videos been made non-public? I've been checking back in case a video was posted about what they think happened but it's all gone.

magic-martinh

Visit site
I did have some contact with ZP before he was setting off. He was aiming for North of Australia as his mast was possibly unable to take too much strain. This I was told was advised to him. I did point out that the Indian Ocean can be brutal, Cape Horn even more so. I did say I could come down to Cornwall and help check things out but he didn’t reply to that offer. I’m glad he’s off safe.

Mataji

Visit site
I wonder if he was ever really serious about making it. From his first video I thought he was badly prepared and very naive.

laika

Visit site
I almost certainly shouldn’t be reviving this thread but did any details of what finally happened here ever emerge? Perversely I think I’m actually more interested to know what he thought happened than what actually did. I didn’t manage to google anything. Mr Phoenix seems to have a new career as a hypnotherapist.

dombuckley

Visit site
I almost certainly shouldn’t be reviving this thread but did any details of what finally happened here ever emerge? Perversely I think I’m actually more interested to know what he thought happened than what actually did. I didn’t manage to google anything. Mr Phoenix seems to have a new career as a hypnotherapist.
Interesting choice of a career for someone who previously stated that neuro-linguistic programming is 'mind control'.