BOATS 2020 Cancelled

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Maybe the end for SIBS. If I were the organiser I’d be looking for somewhere else to host the show in future years, To cancel at this 11th hour is a disgrace.
Yes. But the organisers might be the villains. MDL OV show and SIBS-Lite both bailed at the last minute. The terms allowed a small rebate (?18%) if cancelled. So the exhbitors have spend 10000's on fees plus untold internal costs, and lost it all. Show organisers cash in regardless.

Shameful.

Or maybe I have that wrong, if the organisers read this please chip in. But I smell a rat.

lionelz

Visit site
Surely they don't have any choice ? It's the new guidance from the government, don't the rules come in from Monday so pointless having a show for one day. But either way I am sure everyone will be losing money including the show organisers.

prv

Visit site
It’s true that the “News” section of the comics always used to be full of stuff that had happened ages ago, been thoroughly discussed here, and then forgotten. But even were that not the case, it’s hard to see how a printed publication is supposed to inform you of a cancellation mere hours before the scheduled opening.

Pete

HissyFit

Visit site
It's a shame there isn't a sailing publication where you could read about news like this. I don't know, maybe a publishing house with 3-4 monthly yachting and boating magazines with an online presence. The only one I can find appears to be a long-running advertisement for a youtube channel.
To be fair, all British boating journalists are currently tucked up in bed. It's only us insomniacs that know about this. Scratch that. They had since yesterday evening, so they had plenty of time to actually use the news section for this news.

matt1

Visit site
Very disappointing for all those who have put effort and financial resources into trying to make something of this. I particularly feel for the Ocean Village show as to me that looked to be very well risk managed. Since it was appointment only, and many of the boats will have come from Hamble, maybe they can shift all the boats back to the Hamble marinas and keep most of their appointments there.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Council workers at their best. To cancel an event hours before it is supposed to start

I suspect a few exhibitors may well go bankrupt from the expence incurred and losses.. but the people who have inflicted that on others will simply walk away from the consequences all the while saynig they are following proceedure.

Tintin

Visit site
The more I think about this the more outraged I am. To do this the night before. Stands built. Staff in hotels etc is disgraceful. A week before fine. The politicians don’t pay for this the small businesses that were brave enough to exhibit do

Err, have you noticed there is this thing called Covid that's killing people?

sarabande

Visit site
I am amazed that people should think that an exception be made for a boat show. There are numerous businesses around the country that are having to shut because of the new Covid rules, and I would expect that Boat2020 organisers and exhibitors, who have made serious financial commitments to the show, would have done the due diligence actions and taken precautions against cancellation. What about horse racing, other sports, hospitality, entertainment, etc ?

It's not as if the second wave has not been predicted for ages.

If you want to blame someone, blame the country where the disease originated. Or would you be happy to accept that anyone who contracts Covid at a boat show over the next ten days can hold the government or MDL responsible ?

Stemar

Visit site
TBH, with the big increases in CV infections, I don't think anybody had any real choice. Ok, there's a case to be made that it could have been done sooner and, certainly an argument about fees, but anyone with half a brain would have known that there was always a risk that it would be cancelled at short notice. I haven't been to a boat show for a few years - too much temptation to spend money on stuff I don't need, but my recollection of the crowds suggests that social distancing's out the window.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Very disappointing for all those who have put effort and financial resources into trying to make something of this. I particularly feel for the Ocean Village show as to me that looked to be very well risk managed. Since it was appointment only, and many of the boats will have come from Hamble, maybe they can shift all the boats back to the Hamble marinas and keep most of their appointments there.
Looks like that is what is happening.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
On the topic of fees, don’t the rules about frustrated contracts come into play? If the show can‘t go ahead for whatever reason, then the terms and conditions become null and void as the contract can’t be completed and refunds are due? I know that holiday accommodation providers whose normal t&c stated no refunds were forced to give full refunds via the small claims court when Covid prevented people from taking up booking. (And yes, I know that decisions in the Small Claims Court do not establish legal precedent but it’s an indication that a claim would probably succeed.)