BOATS 2020 Cancelled

matt8442

Visit site
Just thought I’d put on here that Southampton Boat show is cancelled, friend of mine was supposed to be running a Display there and received email about 10 minutes ago.

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
News just in. Very disappointing for all involved.

"British Marine regretfully announces that BOATS2020 has been cancelled.
At 6.34pm on Thursday 10 September, on the eve of opening day, British Marine received the devastating news from Southampton City Council that the show could no longer go ahead due to the rising risk of COVID-19 and growing Government fears.
The show, due to take place from 11-20 September 2020, was set to open on Friday following extensive work in collaboration with Southampton City Council to ensure that the existing Public Health England COVID-19 secure requirements were met.
We understand that the MDL Ocean Village event has also been cancelled."

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Growing government fears? ! Bunch of incompetents
Bad news for all the exhibitors, no doubt a large financial hit.
Let’s hope for better news next year.

Portofino

Visit site
Genoa 1st to the 6 th Oct is still on .
There are few new boats arrived in Loano this week , Pershing 140 called “touch me “, a shadow boat called “Roe shadow “27 M Plus a few Motor cats much smaller between 41/48 ft
The Motor cat guy clobbered me while walking the dog , I only paused because the dog wanted to sniff .
Anyhow 20 mins of sales patter later , demo of the folding glass etc etc he was unsure if Genoa was gonna be viable .
He said if it’s cancelled, he will just keep the boats here and invite serious clients only .
Presumably he knows who they are ?
Point is I guess it’s the sale numbers that counts and the very serious will always track down what they want via the dealer network , perhaps more so now most shows seem to be scrubbed.

The other two ^^^ I suspect are owner agreements to display ?
The Pershing is hull #2 and 3rd is in build they take just over a year all alloy hull+ superstructure.This ones got quad MTU 2600 s on jets .

As for the smaller trade stands they have a huge exhibition hall at Genoa , even on a normal pre Covid the aisles are wide .
But it’s a catch 22 , they want the crowds , but also don‘t want to fuel corvid ....not thinking masks , that’s easy enough but touching stuff , boats , handrails , doors , lifts ( exhibition hall ) ,
Perhaps the cat guys gut instinct for the thing to be scrubbed is better ? Dunno ?

edit we are not going this year........Covid .

newtothis

Visit site
It's a shame there isn't a sailing publication where you could read about news like this. I don't know, maybe a publishing house with 3-4 monthly yachting and boating magazines with an online presence. The only one I can find appears to be a long-running advertisement for a youtube channel.