Boat washing at Sant Carles

Hurricane

Visit site
I've just edited some drone video footage that we took earlier this year in June.
Well, I didn't take the video but some of you on here will know him.
Two of is took our boats over to the yard for a wash - a third boat was already there - blocked off for a week's maintenance.
Sant Carles is a bit special.
Generally in the Med, boatyards don't give you the freedom that we have to work on our own boats,
We get on really well with the staff who are always helpful as you will see in this video.

To get the best out of the video, run it at 1080P resolution.
Footage was mostly taken using a DJI Mini drone.
No apologies for the music - royalty free.
Some of the footage might look a bit strange - I speeded it up to avoid making it too boring.

Parabolica

Visit site
I've just edited some drone video footage that we took earlier this year in June.
Well, I didn't take the video but some of you on here will know him.
Two of is took our boats over to the yard for a wash - a third boat was already there - blocked off for a week's maintenance.
Sant Carles is a bit special.
Generally in the Med, boatyards don't give you the freedom that we have to work on our own boats,
We get on really well with the staff who are always helpful as you will see in this video.

To get the best out of the video, run it at 1080P resolution.
Footage was mostly taken using a DJI Mini drone.
No apologies for the music - royalty free.
Some of the footage might look a bit strange - I speeded it up to avoid making it too boring.

Thank you for posting.

Very clear footage by Derek whoever he is.

Look at the build up on your boat which was very severe by comparison to what i see on mine, can i ask how long that takes to get like that as i have heard that this is a major issue with the waters at SC marina, i enquired this year after a berth of which they do have availability and the price is very attractive indeed, but the ability to keep my boat as immaculate as i like and the access not being so good, put me off.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Thank you for pisting.

Very clear footage by Daerk whoever he is.

Look at the build up on your boat which was very severe by comparison to what i see on mine, can i ask how long that takes to get like that as i have heard that this is a major issue with the waters at SC marina, i enquired this year after a berth of which they do have availability and the price is very attractive indeed, but the ability to keep my boat as immaculate as i like and the access not being so good, put me off.
Firstly, Derek is a YBW forum member of long.
You might have spotted him on his boat flying his drone.

The build up on JW was a whole year.
Yes, the barnacle growth around SCM is particularly aggressive.
Over the years, we have learned how best to deal with it.
You say that berthing at SCM is very attractive - yes it is.
Even more so when you realise that lift for both the boats was complementary - we get one free lift each year.
Usually, I lift the boat and "block off" for a week in April/May for her annual maintenance.
Then again for a quick lift later in the autumn just before we go off cruising - that way, we have a nice clean boat at both ends of the year.
Some people paint/antifoul their propellers but I find that the paint doesn't stick to the propellers when you use the boat.
Well, most of the paint doesn't stick - the stuff that does stick is a PIA to remove later when you have to re-paint them.
So, my plan is not to use any treatment at all.
Usually, I polish the props and use acid treatment a couple of times a year.
That way, my props are in better condition than if they were painted.
The lift, pressure/acid wash takes about a couple of hours so no big deal.
It is also a great time to check the boat.
During the lift above, I noticed that one of my stern thruster anodes unexpectedly needed replacing so that was done - there and then.
I also changed the trim tab anodes in that lift.

SWMBO now have grandchildren so our boating has changed somewhat.
Marina swimming pool and the local lagoon are more attractive at the moment than trips over to the islands.
So this year the barnacles have grown a bit bigger than usual.

So, cheap place to keep the boat and fantastic people in the marina.
We are off there in September until the end of October - it will be like having a 6 week party.
We often drive our car down there - a day on the Biscay ferry followed by a 6/7 hour drive and we have our own car for transport for the whole time we are there.
And the weather of course.

Don't be put off by the marine growth - it is all manageable.

Parabolica

Visit site

Even more so when you realise that lift for both the boats was complementary - we get one free lift each year.
Usually, I lift the boat and "block off" for a week in April/May for her annual maintenance.
Then again for a quick lift later in the autumn just before we go off cruising - that way, we have a nice clean boat at both ends of the year.
Some people paint/antifoul their propellers but I find that the paint doesn't stick to the propellers when you use the boat.
Well, most of the paint doesn't stick - the stuff that does stick is a PIA to remove later when you have to re-paint them.
During the lift above, I noticed that one of my stern thruster anodes unexpectedly needed replacing so that was done - there and then.

Marina swimming pool and the local lagoon are more attractive at the moment than trips over to the islands.

We are off there in September until the end of October - it will be like having a 6 week party.
We often drive our car down there - a day on the Biscay ferry followed by a 6/7 hour drive and we have our own car for transport for the whole time we are there.

Thank you for the detailed reply. It sounds as though the free lift is there to keep people there if the growth is so severe. But I see how you are managing the situation to suit your boating needs. I suspect that won't work for me so will continue the wait for a berth, further along the coastline.

Have fun on your next trip !

benjenbav

Visit site

Jenny Wren looks very big in those slings. Must be one of the bigger boats at SCM if the facility is weight-limited by 75T lift?

Hurricane

Visit site
Jenny Wren looks very big in those slings. Must be one of the bigger boats at SCM if the facility is weight-limited by 75T lift?
JW is well withing the weight limit - on that travel hoist, in the past, the staff checked it and she showed 48 tonnes - IIRC, that included full fuel.
When asked, I always say 50 tonnes.

She isn't the biggest in SCM but she is the biggest on our row of pontoon berths.
The marina has some 30m Med style berths - most of the boats on those berths can't lift in our yard.
There is a bigger lift in the town boatyard and an even bigger one at Vinaros (about 10 miles away).
Having had potential problems in Ibiza where a big enough lift was the other side of the island, it is nice to have lifting facilities literally a couple of hundred yards from our berth.

The boatyard lifting facility at SCM limit is mainly apparent to catamarans.
Some can just scrape into the dock but most have to go over to the town boatyard which is privately owned so that yard will do the work.
DSC08001.resized.JPG
When I say "scrapes in", I mean it - this is a regular visitor to our boatyard - only the carpet lining to protect it.
That said, this is the largest one that the staff will lift because they KNOW it just fits.

Pointing out the camaraderie - all those on that boat are good friends - in SCM it doesn't matter if you are a yachtie or a motor boater, we all get on so well together.
Often meeting up in town or going out together.
It is a really friendly marina.

The Phantom that followed me in had to wait for the staff to change the slings over.
You will see from the video that JW uses two double sets of slings - the Phantom only uses single sling set.
Also, the staff always wrap the slings with shrink wrap on each sling before lifting.

benjenbav

Visit site
JW is well withing the weight limit - on that travel hoist, in the past, the staff checked it and she showed 48 tonnes - IIRC, that included full fuel.
When asked, I always say 50 tonnes.

She isn't the biggest in SCM but she is the biggest on our row of pontoon berths.
The marina has some 30m Med style berths - most of the boats on those berths can't lift in our yard.
There is a bigger lift in the town boatyard and an even bigger one at Vinaros (about 10 miles away).
Having had potential problems in Ibiza where a big enough lift was the other side of the island, it is nice to have lifting facilities literally a couple of hundred yards from our berth.

The boatyard lifting facility at SCM limit is mainly apparent to catamarans.
Some can just scrape into the dock but most have to go over to the town boatyard which is privately owned so that yard will do the work.
View attachment 180970
When I say "scrapes in", I mean it - this is a regular visitor to our boatyard - only the carpet lining to protect it.
That said, this is the largest one that the staff will lift because they KNOW it just fits.

Pointing out the camaraderie - all those on that boat are good friends - in SCM it doesn't matter if you are a yachtie or a motor boater, we all get on so well together.
Often meeting up in town or going out together.
It is a really friendly marina.

The Phantom that followed me in had to wait for the staff to change the slings over.
You will see from the video that JW uses two double sets of slings - the Phantom only uses single sling set.
Also, the staff always wrap the slings with shrink wrap on each sling before lifting.
Sounds good. 👍 I had wrongly thought P67 was a few tonnes heavier.

kashurst

Visit site
Strewth, I had forgotten how fast serious fouling builds up in the med. I once left in the med, a UK based boat for 6 weeks with no antifouling coating on the props and it had to be lifted to get the crusties off. The props were like box hedges.
Years ago we had a boat in Kip Marina (near Glasgow) for a year. It was lifted for inspection and there was three, yes three barnacles on the entire boat!

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Strewth, I had forgotten how fast serious fouling builds up in the med. I once left in the med, a UK based boat for 6 weeks with no antifouling coating on the props and it had to be lifted to get the crusties off. The props were like box hedges.
Years ago we had a boat in Kip Marina (near Glasgow) for a year. It was lifted for inspection and there was three, yes three barnacles on the entire boat!
Our last Med marina we had very little fouling (we easily could go all season without a lift). It was about 5m deep and you could easily see the bottom.

This was due to there being no fishing boats, no pollution run-off from fields and very people staying on their boats.

julians

Visit site
Our last Med marina we had very little fouling (we easily could go all season without a lift). It was about 5m deep and you could easily see the bottom.

This was due to there being no fishing boats, no pollution run-off from fields and very people staying on their boats.
Same for us in majorca, minimal fouling for us.