Boat transport by water and tuition

ColleyV8

Visit site
Are there companies or individuals that provide own boat tuition and transport at the same time, sale process is going well, buy I'm thinking of bring the prestige back to Cardiff instead of berthing at Plymouth over the winter,

Gives me a chance to get used to handling and twin screws instead of single outdrive

Budgeting on 600l of fuel and cost of captain for trip

Cheers Steve

rafiki_

Visit site
Yep, there are companies that do this. Try Mendez on the Hamble. They have some great instructors who will travel. Closer to home try Compass at Portishead. Jake and Kathy are very experienced and know the Bristol Channel.

benjenbav

Visit site
I did this (just about 15 years ago to the day) with a boat I bought in Fowey and wanted to bring back to Chichester.

It was a great way to get to know the boat and thoroughly enjoyable.

That was organised via Mendez, albeit the business was in different ownership back then.

rgsmg53

Visit site
Yep, there are companies that do this. Try Mendez on the Hamble. They have some great instructors who will travel. Closer to home try Compass at Portishead. Jake and Kathy are very experienced and know the Bristol Channel.
Sadly, I think you'll find Kath & Jake retired (to Scotland?) some time ago. There's another sea school in Portishead now but I don't know how good it is.

A couple of years ago I came across a couple of ex-RNLI Coxswains who would do delivery voyages and owner tuition at the same time. I did have some correspondence with them but then did not buy that particular boat. I'm afraid I can't recall their names - surprisingly, I came across them advertising on Gumtree!

wizzer

Visit site
Sadly, I think you'll find Kath & Jake retired (to Scotland?) some time ago. There's another sea school in Portishead now but I don't know how good it is.

A couple of years ago I came across a couple of ex-RNLI Coxswains who would do delivery voyages and owner tuition at the same time. I did have some correspondence with them but then did not buy that particular boat. I'm afraid I can't recall their names - surprisingly, I came across them advertising on Gumtree!
See above ?

oldgit

Visit site
if you thought access was bad for the engines on the prestige, try a galeon 330, think you would need to cut the deck off to get at them

....and pretty much the same on the 11-13 metre Jeanneau and Beneteau flybridges we viewed during a recent boat search.

Engine access on the circa 1990s-2000s Prinlines et al. was not exactly wonderful but at least you could probably actually see the engines but on all ? the French boats it was appalling
On one boat the only quick way to look into the engine compartment for a quick pre or post cruise engine check (which we all do of course ) was a 50cms x 50 cms hatch which gave you really good view of the top of a green rocker box.