Boat stolen from very sad family in Wells

mgoffe

Visit site
Hello. I have just joined this site to see if anyone can help. My sister and brother-in-law have just had their boat stolen from their driveway in Wells, Somerset. The thieves took the boat in the early hours of Saturday 13th March, driving it recklessly through country lanes. It is so sad as my sister and her family had taken it from the moorings in Weymouth to sell it. They could no longer afford the loan, the upkeep or the insurance! It was a dream they could not afford that has now turned into a nightmare. They are devastated of course. The boat details are:

Four Winns 248 Vista. 27ft long, 8ft wide on a four Winns trailor. Blue & white hull.

Does anyone have any advice as to where else I could post the information. Also what are the chances of ever seeing the boat again?

colingr

Visit site
Something of that size will probably appear on ebay, boatsandoutboards appolloduck.com. Unless it's been shipped abroad.

Keep an eye on those sites for sure.

Otherwise, as they were intending to sell anyway, hope it doesn't turn up and grab the insurance, assuming it is insured?

mgoffe

Visit site
No insurance

That is why it is so sad, their insurance had lapsed. Stupid I know but true. Thanks for your tips.:(

colingr

Visit site
That is why it is so sad, their insurance had lapsed. Stupid I know but true. Thanks for your tips.:(

Oh ****. My commisserations.

Salutory lesson for anyone keeping a boat at home.

Wheel clamp and triler hitch lock an essential.

colingr

Visit site
Had both clamp and trailer locks!

That's a real lesson then as I have always relied on exactly that to protect my boat.

In fact this very weekend when I tried to release the aforesaid clamps the padlocks had rusted so I had to resort to cutting the off with an angle grinder.

Didn't take long though albeit quite a noisy operation. Wonder if the neighbours would have noticed / said anything though.

Just shows that if someone wants to nick something badly enough they will.

I really feel sorry your sister and hope it all gets resolved happily.

mgoffe

Visit site
Yes, my brother-in-law just thought he had it covered. They are still so distraught, and their kids are so upset; it was the 15 year olds birthday the day it went! You are obviously an experienced boat person. What are the chances of the boat being discovered? We are checking websites. Our only hope is that the thieves seem to have been incredibly unprofessional in their crime, taking out hedges (must have damaged the boat) and taking the boat down country lanes with the locks on and minus trailer wheels......

mgoffe

Visit site
That's a real lesson then as I have always relied on exactly that to protect my boat.

In fact this very weekend when I tried to release the aforesaid clamps the padlocks had rusted so I had to resort to cutting the off with an angle grinder.

Didn't take long though albeit quite a noisy operation. Wonder if the neighbours would have noticed / said anything though.

Forgot to say thank you for your nice words.

mgoffe

Visit site
Update - boat found!!!

We can't believe it, the police have just called to say the boat has been found 8 miles away hidden in a field. A local newspaper article prompted a neighbouring farmer to contact the police. Superficial damage to boat, trailer wrecked - the locks had made the theft really difficult and the wheels had come off. Safe and sound now. So pleased so sometimes they do come back......

colingr

Visit site
Fantastic news, I'm really pleased for you.

Amazing that they managed to get it away with the locks etc in place. No wonder it wrecked the trailer. Hopefully it wrecked their car as well :)

Jim@sea

Visit site
I used to buy and sell horse trailers which theives love. I would "Unbolt and remove" the towing hitch. Cover it with a bin liner bag so a casual inspection would not reveal that there was no towing hitch. Put a couple of axle stands under the trailer then take a couple of wheels off. Remove all but one wheel nut from every wheel. Its not going anywhere. So after all that I suppose I should do it myself. If its hard to nick they will steal someone elses.

scareypirate

Visit site
Brilliant news!!! For once the theiving B******s didn't get anything for their trouble, just a big headache and a knackered car I hope...

Congrats and go tell your Sis to buy a lottery ticket pronto :D