Boat sale - handover videos

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
We’ve recently sold our boat. Because of the COVID restrictions (and in our case particularly so because of the profession of our buyer) we weren’t able to meet the buyer on board to do a handover session. So, not wishing to complete without providing as much of a handover as possible, I took to the video camera.

Now for sure I’m no Sir David but nonetheless I managed to blether my way through 24 videos totalling 90mins or so of explanatory handover. I covered the main boat systems and a little of an intro to sailing her, particularly in-mast mainsail. Lots of ”ummmmm and errrrr“ and “I can’t remember what I was going to say” and the suchlike but nonetheless the buyer is very pleased with the guidance offered, he says particularly so because it is a permanent record which he can revisit. It’s often difficult to take in everything one is told if a session is “live”.

So, I commend this medium to the House, indeed even in the absence of a pandemic I think it very worthwhile.

Laysula

www.stevehuntdrivinginstructor.co.uk
When I bought my first boat, I had my brother shadow me with a camcorder during the handover as there was a lot to take in and remember. We bought her in the autumn and didn't launch her till spring the next year. It was very useful to refer to for the launch and rigging for the season.