Boat Safety Scheme Examiner required

Mark M

Visit site
Hi Guys

I have looked on the BSS website any they have a list of examiners in my area, bit I was wondering if anyone can recommend one of the Boat Safety Scheme Examiners.
My boat is moored at Whitchurch on Thames (on the over side of the river from Pangbourne) although at present its out of the water for the winter on the hard standing down at Harleyford Marina, my present certificate doesn’t run out until April but I would like to get it retested soon, so its one less thing to do come the start of our boating season in Easter.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Cheers

No Regrets

Visit site
I used Roy at Bisham Abbey.

Failed the boat on a few items, Thames Marine sorted them at a reasonable charge, and Roy came back to do a retest, no issues at all there!

I believe a careful and thorough examination was carried out, and that's good IMHO, especially with safety related items!

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org
Hi Guys
... my present certificate doesn’t run out until April but I would like to get it retested soon, so its one less thing to do come the start of our boating season in Easter.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Get the examination done within two months of the run-out date of your old certificate, and when the passes, the examiner can forward date the certificate to the old's run-out date plus four years.

So to sum up, organise for whatever the appropriate day is in February - also book now and you'll stand a better chance of getting your preferred examiner on the day of your choice.

Rob@BSS Office

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
HMM, its one of those things you only need for canals and alike, I hear that there is a thought of doing away with it. But that aside no two examiners are alike although they do the same course. Some are realistic others just a pain.
Good luck finding a good one, also check out the gas qualification he has, 'cos they used to do a small corgie test which allowed them to sign off on your boat supply but that doesn't apply now as corgie dosn't exist anymore and there is only a full gas cert now which includes heating etc, which you can only get if your a plumber/heating engineer.
So how do they sign off your gas on safety?

BSSOffice

www.boatsafetyscheme.org
So how do they sign off your gas on safety?

All examiners still undergo training and competency assessment on all aspects of the checking procedures at one of the UK's leading gas centres as well as routine updates and checks on their work.

Thus all authorised examiners are competent to check the gas tightness of LPG systems on boats.

All authorised examiners are listed on this website

For the record, Corgi has never been involved in this matter.
HTH
Regards
Rob@BSS Office

Mark M

Visit site
Thanks guys for the information provided,

I am a great fan of the forum, and view it everyday, although i dont provide much input into it, i think its great that we have a Thames forum, the information recieved is always useful, and you always get a laugh and smile reading the witty comments on the posts most days.

Roll on the boating season, last year was our first boating season on the Thames, and we used the boat nearly every weekend from easter to October and had 3 seperate holiday weeks on it
(with the help of a Eberspacher heater)

We have a 1 year old son and it amazed me how content he was when we where on the Thames and he had so much to look at- especially any ladys standing by the Locks especially at Henely!!!

I have cruised in other parts of the UK but the thames is hard to beat

Great Scenery
Great People
and best of all Great Pubs and restaurants within overnight mooring distance!!

DWT

Visit site
I have cruised in other parts of the UK but the thames is hard to beat

Great Scenery
Great People
and best of all Great Pubs and restaurants within overnight mooring distance!!

Well done Mark, it is good to be reminded why we all boat on the Thames.

The forum is certainly a good source of information. It was great to see the BSS Office respond to you thread as well. Whatever some may think of the scheme it is good to know that they take such a close interest in what is going on.

bjw

Visit site
Both several of my friends and I have used Rodger Downer over the past two years, cannot recommend him high enough. his mobile is 07860 636821

Other threads that may be of interest