boat not used for 16mths - what concerns are there?

TwoStroke

Visit site
For all the wise and knowledgeable ones - am thinking of seeing a boat over in Dublin - was last serviced Sept'04 - out of water and has not been used. Broker is saying boat had been looked after (but not seen it) - am concerned engine service is over due (diesel) and is likely to need some spare cash to get going (have assumed engine not used since last service). Current owner has put it down to family committments in unable to use boat. Something just doesn't feel right - but boat has all the toys. Am I right to be concerned? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Divemaster1

Visit site
engines could be an issue, but if preserved should be fine (what make?)... other mechanical bits may have seized ... trimtabs, wipers, pumps (incl. autopilot), seacocks relays for charging etc... A bit like "how long is a string" really. If electronics are more than 5 - 7 years, you could argue that they have little or no value as they are outdated, will be more expensive to repair than replace etc.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont think you've got much to be concirned about at all, if it's been left with fresh oil in. At the end of the day, stuff either works or it dont. Get a good mechanic to look at it and go on a long sea trial with you.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Lovely boats, but was this one built in Ireland? I seem to remember that there is a slight quality question mark relating to these boats, that doesn't apply to the more recent Aquadors built in Finland.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Was not the KAD44's the first ones with electronic management?? If so this may be an issue with the "black box" being subjected to cold & dampness for prolonged periods of un-use.

Engine survey, including the electronic controls and management should be included in the jobs here I'd guess...

[2068]

Visit site
This could be an opportunity: the fact that the boat hasn't been used for a while is not a good thing, but should be easily sortable with a suitable budget knocked off the asking price to get it going again. A survey would highlight seized bits, and if you plan to replace oil/belts/filters/impellor plus have the valve clearances checked (if over 200hrs), check no milky outdrive oil (and still shifts ok), steering still operational, and check the interior for damp/mould, you should be ok.

The ECM black box can fail if you use it, and can fail if you don't (boost sensor, see other posts...), so not much difference either way there...

dv.

pjs100

Visit site
Is this a diesel? If so be aware of the possiblity of contamination in the fuel tanks. I bought a boat of similar status and although the engine started I averaged 7 hours per filter and had to remove the tanks to clean.
Also whilst surveyors will comment on the obvious they will not commit on the unknown. A survey is just another opinion.
Buyer Beware!
JJTOP

zeros

Visit site
We had the same situation with our boat that we bought at the beginning of last season. Engines etc were fine, no diesel bug etc. But needed a new domestic water pump almost straightaway, original had rusted badly were the water had been drained. One of the seacocks was seized also, just check everything and expect a few niggles, but this probably goes for any second hand boat. The sea trial etc will show if there is a more sinister reason for the boat not being used.

andy_wilson

Visit site
Turn over for 2 X 30secs on de-compressors before starting her up.

After a lengthy sea-trial draw a sample of hot, well mixed oil for analysis. Expect high iron content (rust from cylinder walls), and hope for little else (need to know how many hours on oil ideally).

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Bought my present boat after it had'nt been used for 14 months although it had been laid up. First off this is a good negotiating point especially if the survey throws up some probs. Second you must check every aspect of the boat very throroughly including an oil analysis on the engine (but only really useful if you know number of hours since last oil change)
A boat thats lain unused for 12 months is definitely not worth top market price. In my case, once I'd found out the history of my boat and the survey had thrown up a few probs, I dropped my offer about 7.5% which the seller had some difficulty accepting but I've spent most of that since I bought the boat carrying out servicing and repairs some of which I would'nt have had to do had the previous owner kept up the maintenance of the boat