Boat fire Nidri

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Just seen a FB post of some pictures of a boat fire in Nidri. Seems to involve a Bavaria sailing boat and a mobo, on the town quay. No further details but wondered if anyone else had any news. Seems to have happened today but no way of confirming that. Picture is a distant one of the fire image.jpg
This is of the burned out boat being towed away
image.jpg

RupertW

Visit site
We could see it from South of Atokos - I assumed it was some rubbish tip burning plastic until I just saw the Rod Heikell FB reposted

Thedreamoneday

Visit site
I was there as it was full blaze.

I heard the mobo caught fire which then set the Bav on fire which was next to it on the quay. Lots of smoke and flames (the smoke could be seen for miles) all very sad but fortunately (so I heard) no one on board either.

It looks like a tourist boat towed the mobo away from the quay and into the channel (not far from the church) out of harms way! (That's unconfirmed though, just what it looked like from the quay)

It was sickening to see boats burning like that, someone's pride & joy.

Last edited:

ostra4

Visit site
The MB was a 70 ft Italian boat ,not sure about the sailing yacht but looked like Bavaria . We were sailing towards Paleros on mainland and noticed the huge amount of smoke comming from Nidri .It looked like they towed the large MB between Scorpios and Madouri island.Couodnt help wondering about all the fuel in a MB of that size .

charles_reed

Visit site
Full details on the CA site posted by Steve Cronin. Apparently both boats were towed out to sea by the Liminekos Soma (or their agents).

I'm looking forward to all the Italians going home on Sept 2nd before I venture into the Ionian.

Suggestion that it was a barbeque on the PB that got out of hand.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I've seen two catch fire one in Antigua Race Week and one on a buoy in Bonaire. The Bonaire one was: First there is smoke then flames through the hatches then the mast falls down and the boat burns down to the waterline. I was expecting gas bottle and petrol container explosions but they didn't happen. It's painful to watch. The American owners were off diving and lost everything so there was a whip round for clothes and new passports. There was a dog on board and it was saved.

rivonia

Visit site
When we were sailing in the Caribean we saw a cat catch fire. It took only a few minutes for it to be completely destroyed. The owners who were on board at the time maneaged to escape with there cat (live aboards). They lost everything and were not insured. We all helped werfe we could an abadoned pld yacht was used to accomodate them and we all did raffles and donated clothes and food . This was in St. Maarten/St. Martin.

Carmel2

Visit site
We have seen 2 in our time, a Grand Banks which seemed in no time at all to be totally destroyed. The other was a yacht at anchor in the bay of Calvi Corsica, A bloke and his lad were in a bar, and I overheard them say there was a yacht on fire so I looked up and yes it was, a woman jumped off, and the lad said "Dad isnt that our boat" and yes it was, apparently she was flambéing pancakes with booze.

We had a freezer catch fire, luckily we were about and got to it fast so no damage done, thankfully.

Ludd

Visit site
Way back in the sixties, fishing the North Sea, we took the crew off a burning wooden 60ft fishing boat. We then stood by and watched her burn to the waterline beforeb sinking.
As thety burn, they get lighter (wood to ash) and rise in the water , allowing the next bit to burn. Scary stuff.