boat electrics

rkane

Visit site
The boat that we have just bought has a fairly simple 12 v electrical system on it - two batteries (One for lights / nav equpt. and 1 for the engine) charging from an alternator on the engine. Into this system we want to add a dehumidifier, laptop, fridge and other form of battery charger - possibly a wind generator. we don't have access to shore power on a regular basis and intend to live on board part time throughput the year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to add to / modify the existing system to incorporate these things? I understand that a dehumidifier would have to run off a twent four volt supply and a friend suggested that I should install a separate circuit for it. Does anyone have any views on this? Also, will I need an invertor / regulator for the fridge / laptop? As someone who is slowly wading through a book on basic boat electrics and who is beginning to think it is written in a foreign language, any single syllable or even diagramatic advice would be VERY gratefully recieved!

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
It doesn't sound as though you have sufficient battery capacity for your plans. I am guessing you should have at least 200Ah domestic battery bank capacity. Fridge installations usually come with their own inverter/controller. Typical units draw about 5 Amps form a 12v system. If your engine will beused for replenishing the battery then you will need a "smart" regulator to reduce the engine running time required to charge the battery. Additional charging input from a wind generator will help - when there is wind, or solar cells - when there is sun but neither can be relied upon in the UK.

I have not heard of a DC de-humidifier. All those I have seen require mains input. The are basically a fridge unit and a fan so consumption is typically 80 watts. The tend to need to run for quite long periods, several hours a day if the atmoshere and boat furnishings are damp. If you ran it off DC it would draw at least 6 Amps at 12v and 3 Amps at 24. I wouldn't consider it an option without shore-power.

<hr width=100% size=1>

anabel

Visit site
That amount of equipment working off engine charged batteries is just not feasible. A generator is the only practical solution. Suggest you calculate the total wattage of all the utilities, add 25% and this should give you an idea of the size generator you would need. If the gene. used the same type of fuel as your boat engine it would be a bonus.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ean_p

Visit site
If your totally lost in this area have a word with the guys at either Adverc or Sterling as you will need some form of control/regulation equipment at some time and they can help with loads of very very good advice bourne from lots of experience.....the Adverc site also has good diagrams etc.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

saturn

Visit site
need some more info,
1.what size are excisting batteries.
2.what output is engine driven alternator.
3.have you space for bigger batteries.
4.how long will you be on board.
5.how much motoring will you be doing.
6.do you really need de humidifier? think i want a heater first in uk.
and it costs a fair amount of cash.
here are some retailers, onboard power are very helpful as are the power store.
ive got a mate in ionian with the coldest fridge, he fitted a boost regulator to his alternator and bigger battery bank but he motors for about 2 hrs per day.

<hr width=100% size=1>