Boat Depression

C08

Visit site
After not using the boat for two years and just 6 months after a flying visit in February.
Covered with bird crap
A foredeck hatch lock needed sawing off and my piece of paper catching steel filings blew over in the wind so I will return to a spread of rust spots.
Heads inlet blocked-barnacles perhaps?
Active woodworm in under sink woodwork, it seems GRP boats are not immune, I am going to have to cut it out and treat the rest.
Bowthruster battery mysteriously showing only 5V but did not take up charge as if very flat and then charged up fine and held charge level overnight ok. Battery only 2 years old.
Boat black all over outside, mould inside
Outboard main engine not engaging reverse so off to dry out and antifoul did not happen as not fancying getting back to pontoon berth on my own without astern power. I think I need a new dog clutch. Tohatsu outboard parts sometime have to be ordered from Japan and can take months.
Re-chargable drill not re-charging so fitting new heads LED light not possible.
Galley electric pump switch had failed in Feb, the new LED push switch I had bought was 12mm, I should have ordered an 18mm switch. On the bright side I now have a spare for the heads which is 12mm.
I found the local boatyard is on holiday so no lift out to fix things in time to have a sailing holiday.

The only positive is that I now have new floor carpet tiles throughout so looks good inside, just nothing works.

I appreciate these are not real problems, I had perhaps forgotten about boats needing continuous work.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Don't worry, we all have been in a similar situation in the past but with a bit of careful planning most of these issues can be rectified fairly easily and then plenty of fun in the water until next time!!!!. Leaving the boat for a lengthy period, it doesn't help at all. Make a "to do" list in terms of priority and go for it, good luck.

C08

Visit site
Thanks for all the "chin up" messages-a downwind run in the sun with both foresails up, me with feet up and daughter who is doing Day Skipper on the helm is the target for this year.

Abestea

Visit site
Totally understand as I am currently in the same position.

We last sailed in 2018, illness cut that season short and stopped us last year. Priorities kicked in and looking after Swmbo was top of the list.

Was planning to get it ready for the season this year but lock down caused a delay.

Just spent the day cleaning out the bilges which had some interesting things growing!

The repair list is appearing daunting but all the tasks will be completed one by one and I am focusing on getting us back sailing soon.

It will be worth it when we both get back on the water. We shall have a greater satisfaction when we have the wind in our sails.

Babylon

Visit site
That's it: just do one job at a time, cross each completed one off the list, everything will soon be all Bristol fashion.

BTW, isn't it "Harbours rot ships and men"?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I had the same feelings at the beginning of july. Thankfully 3 weeks of a bit of fixing then a bit of sailing then a bit of fixing and by the time I had to leave she was in great shape. Of course I don't know when I'll see her again so it's not exactly a happy ending ...................

C08

Visit site
Yes you are all correct-you just have to get your head down, not be overcome by the quantity of issues and problems and sort them out, one at a time. I feel better already. Thanks.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
We’ve been in the same position, not sailed (the log tells me) since August 2018 due to several job changes, a house move, and then lockdown. Although the boat was lifted and serviced in the winter, by last week she was looking pretty filthy on deck and mouldy in lockers etc. Fortunately nothing has stopped working. Spent 2 days last week cleaning her up and bending the sails on. Hoping to get a sail this week at long last.