boat deliveries

rkane

Visit site
We're thinking of buying a boat abroad (in America) but don't have enough experience to bring it back across the Atlantic ourselves yet. Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to hire a skipper / crew for such a trip? At the moment I haven't got a clue whether the cost would be hundereds, thousands or even (hopefully not) millions!! My husband and I would want to go along too to gain some experience. Are there any companies / individuals that anyone would recommend?

Thanks

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
A few years ago I did a trip working for a company called "Professional Yacht Deliveries worldwide." Their numbers 01539 552130.

I was very impressed by them. Seemed well organised, and the skipper I sailed with was very experienced and competent.

Go on, make us jealous. What boat have you got your eye on?

Lynette

Visit site
An alternative.

An alternative is to have it shipped back as deck cargo. I was quoted around £6,000 for a 40' yacht by Peters and May, for Florida - Southampton, a few years back. Having it delivered is cheaper, but not that much cheaper when you take into account the preparation and the wear and tear. The price varies a lot with the reputation of the deliverer.

Incidentally, I was eventually deterred from doing this by the RCD requirements - check the yacht you plan to buy is CE marked if possible.

NDG

Visit site
I've also done a delivery with PYD and they are excellent. The boat will certainly be well looked after.

On the other hand, if you are looking for an individual rather than a company then PM me and I can put you in touch with a couple of "privateers" who I can also recommend.

rkane

Visit site
Re: An alternative.

HELP! What are RCD requirements? Do they apply to all boats? as you can see i'm only just beginning to look into all of this and there seem to be so many complications things to consider. any advice - or info. about where to find an 'idiot's guide' would be much appreciated!

martinb

Visit site
Re: An alternative.

RCD = Recreational Craft Directive one of the EU Harmonised standards. Search on Google and you will find more than enough information!

Martin

AndrewB

Visit site
RCD.

There was a thread on this just a few days ago, with a number of references. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=301978>Yacht import</A>.

I'd recommend you contact the RYA before going ahead with a purchase.

doris

Visit site
I've done two transatlantic deliveries and I would never use that method for my own boat. As has been mentioned the wear and tear cost are much bigger than you think. Deck cargo has to be the way to do it. Mind you having just bought a boat in the UK I am amazed that it is worthwhile buying in the US even with the current weakness of the dollar. Fantastic choice in the US though.