Boarding ladders

rosamaldon

Visit site
Like many owners we berth in a marina alongside a finger pontoon . Any boardingladder or arrangement at the transom is therefore useless. What we would like is a folding arrangement that allows access from the finger over the gunwales . An ordinary boarding ladder is vertical and requires two hands as you climb it. Does anyone know of anything on the market that runs fore/aft as per the big ship versions so that we can walk up the steps carrying kit or shopping etc. I've seen a brilliant example in PBO 452 August 2004 but it was fabricated by the owner and I can't see enough of the detail to draw up plans for a copy.
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Caravan steps?...

Don't know how high you need them, but how about a double step as used by caravanners? Local caravan shop or <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=33&t=257&p=0&op=>Towsure</A> offer keen prices.
S185.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1>

MLBURGE

Visit site
If of any help i produce a two tier set of pontoon steps made in grp with locking storage, nonslip treads, locks to the pontoon etc - if of interest you can see an ad of them at www.ad-mart.co.uk under the 'boating' section search for 'boarding steps'.

<hr width=100% size=1>

rosamaldon

Visit site
Thanks for the ideas but we've tried most of these and we're looking for a solution that we can carry with us and deploy as needed. The example I've seen was made by a chap who obviously knew what he was doing but has sold up and sailed away or I'd commission one for our own boat. A teak platform with a hinged ladder folds up against the guardrails when not in use but in harbour it folds out from the side of the yacht and then the ladder swings down with a strut to brace it against the hull. It looks like the sort of the thing seen on mega yachts but this one was built for a Roberts 44. We have a Catfisher 28 and the midpoint on the side of the boat is raised up above the gunwale line . Access down onto the pontoon either fore or aft is awkward because the stern is past the end of the finger and the bow curves away. Also my wife is the intrepid mooring supervisor and doesn't fancy leaping from the deck to the finger , rope in hand. We were thinking that the above design would allow her to be nicely placed to step onto the pontoon as we glide serenely alongside. As the ladder part swings up and down the lower rungs can be raised or lowered depending on the height of the pontoon , whilst at anchor the ladder falls vertically with the lower rungs in the water for recovery of bathers , dogs etc.
If anyone has an email address for Nigel Loller perhaps he might be kind enough to draw up his design for us. If anyone cruising out there meets up with him and family on Spinalonga perhaps they would be kind enough to ask him to contact me via this forum. I have a good friend who is an excellent engineer formally of the merchant marine and who is a star when it comes to fabricating one offs from stainless but needs a design to work from. Anyway if we do manage to draw up a working design and get it made I'll let the forum know.

Thanks as always.
Lloyd

<hr width=100% size=1>

Woodpile

Visit site
Wow - this plot is worthy of Miss Marple. 'But Officer, she was standing on the ladder as we approached the berth.. and it always held her weight before... are you saying I crushed her between the boat and pontoon deliberately..?'

Go on, tell us what the life insurance policy is worth! :)

<hr width=100% size=1>

rosamaldon

Visit site
No honest guv it's all legit and also management's idea. At the moment she stands outside the guardrails and performs a less than delicate leap for the pontoon with a cry reminiscent of a Turkish weightlifter crushing his bollards. The day will come when the line in her hand snags the boat and arrests her flight whilst still airborne above the salty stuff. If I want to continue sailing a remedy must be found before this happens as the Boss is the local rep for the Ladies Wing of the Herman Goering Division and the future of my bollards would definitely be an issue.
Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>