BlueJacket's Google Earth presentation of Caribbean, East US & Canada

geoffschultz

www.geoffschultz.org
BlueJacket\'s Google Earth presentation of Caribbean, East US & Canada

I just finished updating my Google Earth file to include our 2008 cruising. In 2008 we did what's known as the "Down East Circle Route." This trip started in the Chesapeake and wound through the Hudson River, the Erie and Oswego canals, Lake Ontario, down the St. Lawrence river, through Canadian Maritimes and Prince Edward Island, into the Bras d'Or Lakes of Nova Scotia, down the coast of Nova Scotia and finally back along Maine, NH, MA and into RI.

This file also covers almost 40,000 miles of cruising and includes virtually all of the Caribbean, Bahamas and lots of the eastern US and Canadian coastlines.

I also implemented "regions" which means that placemarks aren't displayed until you zoom into the area which contains them. Prior to this there were too many placemarks and it was confusing. Now all that you see is a colored path showing the route that we took on a given year. As you zoom in on that path, you'll see the placemarks.

If you click on a placemark, you'll see a snippet of the log and a link to the full log as well as links to photo albums and videos.

To access the file directly via the Google Earth program, click on the following link:

http://www.GeoffSchultz.org/GoogleEarth/BlueJacket.kmz

Alternately, you can use the Google Earth plugin and your browser (note that I suggest using the program directly.) You can do this by clicking on

http://www.geoffschultz.org/GoogleEarth/

and following the directions on the page.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

sarabande

Visit site
Re: BlueJacket\'s Google Earth presentation of Caribbean, East US & Canada

too late at night for the brian cell to be working properly.

I have saved the .kmz file but Google won't run it. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, please ?

Dann

Visit site

I am running Google Earth latest version - 5.0.11337.1968 (beta) and cannot find anyway of getting it to relate to .kmz files. I anyone knows how, please enlighten us.

geoffschultz

www.geoffschultz.org

Really...your system doesn't associate KMZ files with Google Earth? Bizarre!

What you can do is download the file to your system by right clicking on the link and saving the file. Then use Windows Explorer to view the directory where you saved the file. Right click on the file and select Properties. It should say "Opens with Google Earth". If it doesn't, click on the "Change" and select Google Earth as the program that opens it. After that all should be well.

-- Geoff

Dann

Visit site

The .kmz file will open Google Earth. However, the .kmz file is not found in "my places" any other location and pasting it in doesn't work.
Earlier versions of GE, were not a problem.

Dann

Visit site

Normally Firefox. No joy with Chrome either. IE opens it as a.zip and the .kml file opens GE. But none paste the info into Google Earth

rickp

Visit site

Your webserver sets the content type for the kmz file to text/plain. It should be "application/vnd.google-earth.kmz". See here for more info.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com

[ QUOTE ]
too late at night for the brian cell to be working properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brian cell !...sounds like some thing from Monty Python ! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All best Nick

geoffschultz

www.geoffschultz.org

Thanks for the info! Funny how it works on some systems and not on others. I updated my .htaccess file with the types. Please let me know if it solves the problem.

-- Geoff

geoffschultz

www.geoffschultz.org

Dann,

I changed some setting on the server. Please let me know if that solves the problem.

However, when you click on the KMZ file in Firefox, does a dialog box pop up asking you what you want to do with the file? On my system, it saves the file and asks if I want to open it using Google Earth.

Also, in Firefox, if you click on Tools/Options/Applications, does it show "Google Earth KML/KMZ file" and have it associated with Google Earth?

-- Geoff

Dann

Visit site

Have now managed it. One has to save the file somewhere and then open it in GE from the file menu - low and behold it then appears in places!