Blue Ensigns .....

G

UGH .... another blue'y .... can anyone tell me if some of the Blue'y practices at being inconsiderate, bloody minded ?

I know many who fly, Red, White, Blue ensigns, but I cannot understand why the Blue seems to attract some really ignorant ones ..... Isn't it time the whole thing was scrapped and we all flew the same like other countries ? I am a great one for tradition, unlike old Blair etc. but is Tradition to fly a Blue Ensign and then Hog the channel etc. ESPECIALLY Blue ensigned Motor Boats .... obviously some Commodore or something that lost his Navy !

Sorry but I like common sense. etiquette, responsible boat handling, good manners and respect for others on the water whatever craft etc.

No doubt someone will be very upset with me on this - fire away - I can take it !!!

iangrant

Visit site
I have wanted a blue ensign for years.

I only have a common red one. I do have a cap with gold braid, I want to be rude, inconsiderate, hit the jetty, push in, shout, play loud music, ignore the sailing types and be smug at the wash!

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Well, it seems that the old "NAVY LARK" is still being enacted on the water after disappearing from the radio! I shouldn't be surprised if you'd hear them give the famous instruction "Left Hand Down a Bit!". Don't let them spoil your summer Nigel. Look on the bright side : you can see them coming from afar so you do get fair warning. Just enter a new note in your code book "Blue" = "B" = "Buffon". ;>}

Wally

cliffdale

Visit site
What about the plums? Isnt it compulsary to have half a kilo of plums stuffed in your mouth if you fly a bluie?

I think their the ones that say, Roger, do you read me, and over and out ....on channel 16.

Karl

Visit site
Brings back memories....

...of the blue (or was it white) ensigned yacht that anchors right in the middle of the Auray river opposite Le Rocher in the Morbihan. He can be seen every summer making some very ungentlemanly gestures at passing traffic especially the Vedette's that use him as target practice. Wonder if he'll get the hint this year?

G

Now there's a thing .....
Over and Out ...... is actually NOT correct, as it then means .... OVER to you, OUT end of transmission / communication .... The two are actually separate responses NOT designed to be put together !

Anyway .... All Hail the Blue'y !

davel

Visit site
You're setting your sights way too low.

I get regular junk mail from all sorts of yachting companies offering me Gold ensigns and even Platinum ensigns. You do have to have a boat which costs more than a certain amount to qualify but it comes with all sorts of value added benefits such as
- a higher draft limit - allows you to take your boat into much deeper water,
- purchase protection - a scheme which allows your anchor to "grip" in any anchorage,
- welcomed everywhere - wherever I go people will be smiling (if not laughing out loud!)

I'm definately going to get one when I qualify.

gary_yank

Visit site
Would someone please explain to a poor yank what the color of the ensigns is about. I have followed this subject for about two years on this board and have yet to understand the background.
From what I read this is related to the Yacht vs. National Ensign in the US, and the actions of those who fly each. Both sides of the pond but the same problem perhaps?
I do not ask for this information in order to create more problems, just some understanding.
Gary

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Navy Lark

Thank you.
Hadn't thought about the Navy Lark for ages.
Complete tripe, but distance doesn't half lend enchantment to the view! Bring it back, say I. If they can repeat To The Manor Born, they can repeat anything . . .

"Oh Lummee!" [sound of crash]

Could be my 'theme tune' now I think of it.

BTW
If the yanqui contributor can't quite understand what blue ensigns are about, he/she'll never understand The Navy Lark. Bit like a marine Bilko, on radio (the wireless), performed by a village drama group (of distinguished character actors). Sidesplitting when I was 11.

HMS Troutbridge - that's what I should've renamed our boat!!!!

Bergman

Visit site
Gary

I would strongly advise that you do not get involved. The subject is far to complex and inconsequential for for anyone other than a small select band to understand.

Its a bit like the Irish question: As soon as someone thinks of an answer the Irish change the question.

If you really have a determination to understand and have infinite patience and a high tolerance of pain then you must start by an intensive study of the English class system.

Once you have mastered that a thorough understanding of naval history and tradition mixed with an intimate knowledge of Burkes Peerage and Whos Who will put you in a position to start to gain an insight into the question.

Then you can start to think about the answer.

Personally I think lifes too short.

I have a vague memory from school that the last time the Americans dabbled in this we burnt down the White House so take care.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Nigel, once again the start of another controversail (sic) discussion. Keep it going.

Whilst on the subject, don't lump all blues into the same pot. Many of the arrogant blues are flying a defaced blue - some club with high fees/dues usually. Those with undefaced blues are quite often ex-service and (generally) more responsible. Anyway, you forgot the light blues (RAF crabfat blue). Now that may upset someone, and I won't explain crabfat. (See my profile).

regards to all during this sailing summer.

regards,
Philip<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by philip_stevens on Tue Jul 3 21:32:17 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Keep the Blue Ensign !

This flag was cunningly designed to 'tag' the bounders so that the rest of us know when they are about ( until they fail to give way when they should then you know you've 'got a live one').

The place to go to meet them all is Marion's web site. Sad really as many have good things to say if you can get under their Rhino skins !

G

Oh the joy of the radio speak skit in 'Airplane', Capt' Over and his co-pilot Roger....... is that a roger Roger, over Over....
Anyway to be true to the genre should it not be 'Bloody Blue Ensigns' as in 'Bloody Powerboats' as they do seem to go together. Personaly, as I have collected ensigns from each foreign holiday I often fly one of these. When questioned one of us replies in Spanglish, Americanese, or on a good day Ebonics.These excentricities bring a whole new dimension to our sailing and are to be recommended as a sport in their own right.

charles_reed

Visit site
Nigel - what\'s your point?

That all those who wear blue ensigns are incompetent ... inconsiderate ... stuck-up?

It was almost certainly one of the lot from Sandbanks, and I reckon their common factor is incompetence.

When Europeans ask about blue ensigns I always explain it's to show the learners from those who know it all.

charles_reed

Visit site
Now there\'s a patronising reply

Gary,

In the UK everyone has the right to fly a red ensign - the Merchant Marine flag.

The blue ensign was for reservists - a number of yacht clubs got on the bandwagon and got the right to fly blue ensigns with their club logo on it (defaced). The only people who have th right to the blue are RNR (lots of P&O captains), Royal Naval Sailing Association and serving officers of field rank.
The white ensign is for the Royal Navy and Royal Yacht Squadron.

The subject is always good for a long, portentous and acrimonious BB discussion.

G

Re: Keep the Blue Ensign !

Don't know about "Bluey's" being on Marian's site - a lot of PBO posters also post there - I agree, it is a good site ans some good debates - never found Rhino skins m'self!

Barnacle

Visit site
I reckon you're just Jealous
Who nows where I can find out which defacement goes with which club so I can get a pretty one?