Blue Ensigns .....

G

Re: reds after blues

Are you beeing rude to me? Lacking a classical education I can't place the quote but it sounds Wild'ish or possibly Coward'ish. Any road chuck 'ave I upset the' ?

G

Re: Yes, Charles, but which is which? (nm)

I bet Charles has a Blue ensign on his boat!

G

Cor thanks Nigel!
I always fly the wifes thermals with skull and crossbones on myself!
Regards Your Mate
Bluey

G

It depends on your yacht club, and whether the boat is entirely owned by members of it.

Anyone should fly an ensign if their boat is over a certain length (20 feet, I think).

Anyone can fly the red ensign on a British boat.

The most senior yacht club is the Royal Yacht Squadron, who fly a white one. [They used to refuse membership to anyone engaged in trade, until the King objected to them not admitting Sir Thomas Lipton (who sold tea). Thomas Lipton once remarked to the King, "If I were a gentleman, Sir, which I am not, I should never sail to windward". But I digress.]

A few of the oldest yacht clubs are entitled to a plain (undefaced) blue ensign.

Some more are entitled to a defaced one, i.e. one with a club "logo" on it. The warrant authorising this must be paid for, in my club at least.

There you go - a straight answer to a straight question.

G

Re: Now there\'s a patronising reply

(Sadly) not true about serving officers - unless RN are (I don't know).

G

Re: Nigel - what\'s your point?

My point is that I observe more inconsiderate types flying it than other ensigns .... the stupid thing is that a Blue or White should actually indicate someone with a bit more sense and experience ....., but sadly often shows the opposite.

I am not knocking most of them, but there are some right ones that should be sent ashore to swallow the anchor and the blue'y .....

I'm not perfect and have still a lot to learn .... so have they !!!!!

This one wasn't Sandbanks .... he was out of Chichester, the one before was out of Cowes, another was out of Yarmouth .... I could go on !

G

Re: Blue ensign

I sailed under the Red for 17yrs as a professional ..... I used to admire any that could LEGALLY fly a Blue / White, but now I am NOT envious as I would not fly one even if eligible ..... I would not want to be identified with some of the idiots .... I can live with my Red no problem !

G

Simply put, which another will no doubt add to ....

A Red Ensign, plain red base with Union Flag in top left corner can be flown by any UK based craft, commercial and private.

Blue base flag with Union Flag in top left corner means the owner has right to fly this owing to being ex-services etc.

White base flag with Union Flag in top left corner is generally ex Royal Navy .....

There are other qulaifying requirements but that is it simply. So most boats will fly the Red Ensign that you will recognise .... but some fly the Blue or White .... it is often that the Blue seems to think he is superior and has the right to 'lord it / hog channels' over 'lesser' Red Ensign craft ......

Hope thats simple enough !!!!!! Just be thankful you don't have it over there ...... some Admiralty Tart most likely thought this beauty up !!!!!!

Cheers
Nigel

G

Can't decide whats more ugly .... Bluebeard or the Thermals !

G

Thank you all for a lively back to the old style..

It is nice to know that the forum can still host a bit of contentious 'shite' .......

I thank all contributors and please note that my opinion of Blue Ensigns is unchanged, but I really like British Tradition etc. So maybe the Blue and White still have a place, if only to provide the basis of instant debate !!!!!

Cheers
Nigel

G

Re: reds after blues

Charles - should that not be the ineligible in pursuit of the unspeakable?

Can anyone give me a rational reason why they would be willing to pay (as I understand you have to) to fly a blue ensign?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by howard_easton on Sat Aug 4 23:44:55 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>