Blue Book

Rosa

Visit site
My boat is Part 1 registered. Last year it had to be re-registered. So, reluctantly I returned my Blue Book, which I liked, and it was replaced by a laminated A4 certificate, which I didn't like.
At the MCA stand at the LBS I was delighted to find that the Blue Books had been brought back, by popular demand no doubt. How refreshing, I thought, that some attention is being paid to what people want.
They told me that I could return my laminated A4 certificate, which I don't like, and replace it with the new Blue Book, which I do like.
Then they told me it would cost £25 to do this.
So, is the Register of Shipping and Seamen being sensitive to its customers/clients?
Or, is it a rip-off?

tillergirl

Visit site
Re: Or a sensitive rip off...nm

Probably a bit of a rip off plus a revenue earning scheme for the Agency. Will the new blue book have the complete history of ownership? My old one has of course but I can't see that being updated even for £25. For that money it's probably just the laminated card contents in a blue book (and it will probably still say that the engine is 21.63 kilowatts and omit that I am allowed 1.49 tons for the Chart Space - still if you bought one of those Sun O's tested last month in YM the Chart Space wouldn't register at all [have a look at the picture]) so I suppose it's all old fashioned nonsense which is so nice to those of us who like 'OFN'. I still take the old blue book with me when we go to France etc just in case. To be really pedantic the new cert says that the boat was built in 1964 but as the cert is issued in 2000, I have no real evidence other than the general air of age and a weeping keel bolt that the boat was commissioned before VAT became an issue. Once in Calais if my translation was right, the old Customs Officer was showing a new one the ropes and after inspecting the laminated card of our chums next door, he looked at my blue book (then in it's last year) and said to the new chap, now these are the proper papers!