Blow or Suck

ccscott49

Visit site
The normal thing with engine rooms in larger craft, is to have the engines drawing air from outside the engine room, through effing big vents, so reducing the ber thingy effects, I know what you mean, but this is taking me back to my marine engineering days, the fans then would be, say two in and three out, to produce a small vacumn in the engine room to remove fumes etc. but still providing cool air. Now then If memeory serves me well, for smaller compartmetns, with the engines breathing from inside, to stop them sucking in salt laden air from spray etc, the engines will adequately suck there own air as long as the vents are big enough and positioned correctly, as with Nascar type events etc. The fans should then suck, this will then bring the engine room temp down and then the engines produce more power, drawing cooler air. I think, that 2 blowing and two sucking should be ok. But as long as the vents are big enough, it shouldn't make any difference. Or maybe at tickover have them sucking and as soon as the revevs rise, have them blowing, which would be the more ideal situation, the real ideal situation, is to have the engines draw through proper spray protected high mounted vents, but this isn't in keeping with pretty motorboats. Closing vents is a very smart idea, didn't know she had them, big ship technology that one!

jfm

Visit site
Re:inlet/turb/wastegate/intercooler

Hmmm. Skeptical. Probly less than 3%. By the time the inlet air has been sucked along the hot metal inlet pipe a bit, it's pretty warm anyway? Also, the air is compressed by the turbo, and if the wastegate is on the point of cracking open, it's then all the same pressure anyway regardless of whether the eng room temp is 30c or 40c. And after the turbocompressor it's intercooled, so after all that I cannot see that a 10c difference in inlet temp will be anyway noticeable in density of air at the inlet valve...... I think.

Re the wastegate, I'm not sure if they run with the wastegate partially open or on the point of opening. If they do, then there's constant pressure on inlet side of enigine. If not, then cooler inlet air could result in higher pressure downstream of turbocompressor. In which case, a good quick and dirty test of effectiveness of engine bay fans is to switch off the fans, lettit rise to 40c, then see if the turbo pressure guage has fallen a bit?

ccscott49

Visit site

She probaly hasn't got one, most boats these days don't have them, you'd have to tap into the inlet manifold. But she may have them on the engines themselves.

jfm

Visit site

Yes, there's no gauge on dash (as is common with diesel turbos) but as ccscot says, there are 3 guages on top of each engine I think, one is rpm but one may be turbo pressure?

If not, fit your own. Refer to thread 4 mths ago. I think the forum's conclusion then was gettem off a scrapped Renault 5T in Southend, drill inlet manifold, tap out an M6 hole, and Bobsyeruncle (Reader's Tip: take care to make sure swarf doesnt jam inlet valves, cos by this point your MAN Gold Warranty is a bit f**ked, too.)

ccscott49

Visit site

Matt, put that bluidy drill down this minute! You don't need to start drillin' oles' in yer' manifold, theres bound to be a plug somewhere, where they put a gauge in to test the boost! If you are really interested, the guy who services the engines will have a test gauge, or should! I think I still have mine onboard somewhere. Then you can either do it yourself or buy a gauge and get him to fit it. But don't start drillin'! Even if you have to make an adaptor, you can remove the plug and drill it somewhere else!

ccscott49

Visit site
Re:steady!

You don't know TCM he's already got the B&D out and looking for a suitable gauge!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

ccscott49

Visit site
Re:steady!

Bosch! Cheap and nasty! Hitachi, or Rupes on mine! Mind you I need proffesional tools!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif See I tried to tell them, you already had yer' bib and brace overalls on an' toolbox in hand, I bet! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

maxtorque

Visit site
Re: blow job

Barry H appears to get closest to the answer if you are to believe my surveyor. He stated that the motor should suck because:
(a) Any noxious fumes from within the engine comp would be exhausted.
(b) IF the gas comp drain vent clogged up, the gas would overflow out through the vent to atmosphere, which is into the cockpit, then down through the floor recess into the engine bay where it would sit in the bilge until it exploded! The fan guarantees to suck this out also.
So IHO, suck the engine comp air OUT.

Alternatively, from a 30 year experienced yachtsman instructor power boat examiner blah blah, he stated that the blower should be blowing cool air into the comp to assist with boost density and clean air for the engine.

I think I'll stick with the surveyor's theory..........

WT

BarryH

Visit site
Re: blow job

Well what can I say, I'd like to thank my mum, my wife and the kids. The dog was an insperation to me as well. It means so much to me blub, blub, to achieve this award is the pinnicle of my career, blub,blub,sniff,

O' sod it, I'll settle for a pint ta!
alco.gif

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

Bejasus

Visit site
I have 2 fans on my petrol engined Seamaster. One sucks air in from stbd side into engine comp. 'tother sucks from engine comp. & discharges out port side, thus supplying constant air change across engine comp. when running. Should always be run prior to startup to vent any fume build up.

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."..........I think????

lanason

Visit site
Re: what are fans for

your totally right - its a safety thing !!!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Adrian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>Kelisha Pics</A>

tcm

Visit site
Re: so dyou think ok wiv no fans on?

I'd beinterested you or anyone can get an earlier result - run the enginesto operating temperature, andsee if turbo presure is affected by having the fans on

BarryH

Visit site
Re: what are fans for

Ah but, basically we are all basically the same. So, basically speaking, our basically the same brains have a problem taking in basic information, doing a basically simple computation of the most basic level and coming up with an answer that the average basic boaty can interprit in the most basic form. Did you understand any of that, hope so, cos I lost myself after the "Ah but" bit! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

tripleace

Visit site
Fans are for.....

When engines not running you still have batteries, engine oil, heating system and a whole load of other fume giving things in the engine room. If a person needs to go into this room then a supply of air being sucked in and bad air being exhaled would seem quite important.

As engines are normally beneath people part of boats then you want smells to go overboard rather than forced into people part of boat. How many holding tanks are near engine bays!!!! you wnat that smell to be sucked overboard!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boating-ads.co.uk/365.html> Triple Ace Link</A>

tripleace

Visit site
Re: Fans are for.....

did state suck or blow.

Blow overboard and suck air from engine bay to outside.

don't blow air into engine room.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boating-ads.co.uk/365.html> Triple Ace Link</A>