Blind trust

zoidberg

Visit site
53765358127_db7f5568ef_z.jpg

This the sort of thing that can happen when one places one's trust in stuff - and the trust runs out at about the same time as the 'Depth Under Keel'.

jlavery

Visit site
There's more to it than that. Levels of detail shown at different scales, changed course just before start... so some "Swiss cheese" elements to this incident.

The one Clipper grounding for which I read the MAIB report found that poor comms (hatch which should allow navigator to communicate with helmsman was shut due to leaks?) and insufficiently experienced watch leader, among other things, were contributing factors.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Even Harold Cudmore has landed on the putty in the Solent. As have I on multiple occasions. However, I don’t make the front page of the newspapers when I do it, unlike poor Harold. But then, it was the King of Norway’s boat.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
There's more to it than that. Levels of detail shown at different scales, changed course just before start... so some "Swiss cheese" elements to this incident.

The one Clipper grounding for which I read the MAIB report found that poor comms (hatch which should allow navigator to communicate with helmsman was shut due to leaks?) and insufficiently experienced watch leader, among other things, were contributing factors.
Similar to the Vestas Wind stranding, resulting from failure to zoom in far enough on the electronic chart, and hasty passage planning owing to a late change in the permitted sailing area.

jlavery

Visit site
Similar to the Vestas Wind stranding, resulting from failure to zoom in far enough on the electronic chart, and hasty passage planning owing to a late change in the permitted sailing area.
That's what I was referring to in my 1st paragraph.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Better busted with blind trust at sea, than dying at home pulling socks on.

Over 3,000 deaths a year in the UK are the result of home accidents – more than on the roads. Half of these in-the-home deaths (1,500) are people falling over – and, of these, between five and ten each year take place when people are trying to put on socks. (In 2003, 11,788 people were taken to hospital following accidents while putting on socks, tights or stockings).

It gets worse.67,000 people are injured each year in the UK trying to peel the cellophane off a packet of sandwiches or open a ring-pull can.

dunedin

Visit site
But was that the case or a myth (the zoom bit)? I would need to reread the accident report, but I think they were not using any recognised navigation software but instead only a race software program.
Certainly the late course change didn't help.
Certainly when I checked the location on Navionics a few years back it didn't disappear on zoom levels

jlavery

Visit site
But was that the case or a myth (the zoom bit)? I would need to reread the accident report, but I think they were not using any recognised navigation software but instead only a race software program.
Certainly the late course change didn't help.
Certainly when I checked the location on Navionics a few years back it didn't disappear on zoom levels
Full report here.

Page 32 onwards is interesting reading. Unclear digital representation of dangers not triggering further investigation by the navigator. Clear implication that printed charts give better information. Zoom level detail played a part, but not the only factor.

Compounded by late exclusion zone change, reduced sources of planning information once racing, and navigating in a high performance boat, being thrown all over the place.

Easy to be critical of the navigator but "there but for the grace of God" comes to mind.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
That's what I was referring to in my 1st paragraph.
Sorry; I think I was conflating the VOR incident with a Clipper stranding in SA. In the latter case, nobody was monitoring the ENC because there was no designated navigator and the skipper was on deck supervising a gybe - so a different situation than Vestas Wind.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
These highly publicised incidents are not needed to illustrate the point of the OP,. Have you ever run aground, ran out of fuel, water, gas, lost a halyard, run into inclement weather, forgot your sleeping bag, tin opener, all because you didn’t check or had faith in an instrument or process.

Stuff happens unexpectedly because humans are infallible.

jlavery

Visit site
These highly publicised incidents are not needed to illustrate the point of the OP,. Have you ever run aground, ran out of fuel, water, gas, lost a halyard, run into inclement weather, forgot your sleeping bag, tin opener, all because you didn’t check or had faith in an instrument or process.

Stuff happens unexpectedly because humans are infallible.
Thunk you mean fallible! 😀