Blakes woodsealer

ean_p

Visit site
Has anyone any comments on Blakes woodsealer. Is it good, does it effect the colour of the wood, does it stop staining etc. have been advised to use it to seal some internal oak woodwork prior to waxing and am not to sure if its the right way to go ! any comments well received.

<hr width=100% size=1>

T_S

Visit site
The only thing I can say...is that since I have tried Blakes products while renovating my boat, I know longer purchase International! Blakes do seem to have kept up with advancing paint technolgy and wood treatment.

Their single pack polyurethene varnish is going to take some serious beating!
Hope that helps.

Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
For single pack polyurethane, try Epifanes, "hard wood oil" and high gloss varnish. I havent beaten it yet. even with blakes. The hard wood oil stuff is just varnish you can overcat with as many coats as you like without sanding between, then sand flat, and appy one coat of the hard gloss, brilliant finish! Without all the hard work of sanding.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
They're a Dutch company, but their products are commonly available in a lot of UK chandlers and marine paint shops. They are honestly very good.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Casey

Visit site
I have used Blakes Woodseal and it is an excellent product with one major drawback. The tin is difficult to reseal. I recently have had two tins part used which have "gone off".

I contacted Blakes and they sent me their product data sheet, (but no replacement!) available for commercial use, and it recommends in there that two holes are punched in the bottom of the tin to be resealed after use with tape. Why they can't advise such to us users I don't know and I wish that they would make the can one which the product could be decanted easily.

Having had my rant I still think that it is a good product if used to the company's directions. Blakes produce a very good paint manual which should be available in your local chandlery.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
I share Casey's view. It's a good product. It is completely colourless. Resealing the tin gives a good idea of its toughness. Any residue on the lips of the tin and you will virtually have to wreck the tin to get it open again. I have decanted mine into a number of smaller tins and whilst it is reusable inside the tin, each smaller tin will have to go as I use it.

Its a good base for a varnish finish but I don't know against wax. I think it is not intended as a topcoat so whether wax will give you topcoat strength/durability that you need you will have to judge. Staining will come to any wood if the coating fails so if the woodsealer failed, water etc might cause staining. That said, I applied Wood sealer to my bare coachroof sides (mahogny) six years ago with two pot polyvarnish over the top and the coating has not failed. The timber has bleached though in the sun so I don't think there is any UV protection in Woodsealer. Blakes' paint manual describes it as 'a high penetrating, clear, rot inhibiting sealer for use on wood above and below the waterline. On bare wood (it) is an excellent start to a new varnish system'.

<hr width=100% size=1>