Blackwater Sheltered Anchorage Friday (Wind 35kt SW)

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
Have a bit of a trip planned but concerned about the strong winds. Was aiming to leave the Crouch tomorrow and sail to the Blackwater where I've never been before and find a nice anchorage for a couple of nights but the f'cast is now for force 7's and I don't want to have a poor night's sleep on anchor watch with the stress that comes with that, particularly.

Behind Osea island looks like it might be sheltered but it's quite low lying isn't it (from what I can see on maps).

Would we be able to find a sheltered spot?

Wondered also about anchor Blackwater Thur PM then go into Brightlingsea on a pontoon for Friday night then back to Crouch on Sat (which would be a bit of a mission into the remaining headwind.

Thoughts?

TY!

johnalison

Visit site
When we were in Maylandsea the creek was sheltered from all but easterlies. If we wanted to be out at anchor, then tucked in close to Northey Island was good holding and very comfortable. You could get even further in at one of the creeks there. Osea is OK for holding but not always comfortable. We stuck out a short blow of 60 knots there. The Pyefleet is absoluteley fine in all but easterlies.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Ummmm ...

You're in the Crouch and you've never been to the Blackwater rather suggests you're new to the area if not new to the hobby

Which leads me to tentatively and respectfully suggest that the days following a named storm moving in is perhaps not exactly the best time to go and explore new and unfamiliar territory!

Apart from anything else, you've got Sou'westerly winds of 20 to 30 knots forecast for Friday which will make getting back into the Crouch a right slog with a headwind and wind over tide (HW Burnham is 15:05BST, it'll be ebbing hard before things settle a bit after the tide turns) and whilst by no means dangerous it won't be particularly pleasant.

Personally, if it were me I'd ditch any plans to go further afield and if i really wanted to get out and about I'd toddle round to the Roach and (draft permitting) hole up in the Yokesfleet for a day or two

Crazy-Diamond

Visit site
Another vote for staying on the Crouch and anchoring on the Roach, or one of the creeks. I have sat out big blows on the Roach, excellent holding, and the high sided banks offer some shelter. There are some areas with good depth in close to the bank too.