Black & Decker Batteries - Contents?

Mariner69

Visit site
Does anybody know what the chemicals are inside the Black & Decker Firestorm 12 Volt batteries?

Background:

I have had a B&D drill/sander/jigsaw in a big grey box with a charger and one battery. Over the years I bought another battery and earlier this year the two batteries had almost reached the end of their useful life so I bought two new batteries to replace them when they finally snuffed it.

Yesterday I was using the drill part and one of the old batteries finally gave up the ghost, so I started to use one of the new batteries. It worked very well.

After the job was done I decided to give it a new charge top up to ensure that it was ready for next time. I plugged it in and forgot about it as there is supposed to be a control in the charger. About an hour, or few, later I smelt a strange smell and on investigation there was a white mist in the utility room and a fizzing sound coming from the battery in the charger. I switched off at the mains (pretty quickly I might add /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and noted that there was something bubblling al la Quatermass from the bottom part of the battery. Once the fizzing had stopped the battery was launched into the back garden where it remains until disposal later today.

I take it that the fault lies with the charger which can be considered defective now?

Is there anything particularily nasty in the battery that requires specioal handling to get it to the local waste disposal?

Is it worth buying a new charger (assuming they are still made) or should I start out again with new individual charged devices?

Any advice welcomed.

aluijten

Visit site
It actually should say on the battery what's inside. But in any case it's toxic to a certain extent and it should be disposed of properly. Most likely there will be cadmium inside which is a highly toxic substance. Even if it's a Lithium battery there is some risk.

It seems your charger is busted. It's also poorly designed in the first place as this battery cooking is something that should have never occur even if the charger goes haywire.
My suggestion is to dispose of the lot in an orderly fashion and buy some 'proper' tools like Makita or Metabo. These might be abit more expensive but are also of much better quality. As they say: Quality is still remembered long after the price has been forgotten....

Refueler

Visit site
Given the prices of ful sets in markets etc. - you can often buy that for similar price to new batterys !

I have various dead battery tools and one idea is to convert a 14.4V drill to lead that is fed direct of boat domestics. Just because battery is dead doesn't mean it's no use.
So as I - I bought new combo set and converted old.

VicS

Visit site
Treat the battery or at least its contents as extremely hazardous. NiCd and NiMH both contain a caustic electrolyte (potassium hydroxide, I think). Cadmium compounds are as mentioned very toxic.

Handle with gloves, (goggles as well or be very careful not to splash in the eyes)wash off any splashes with water. Wash way any spillage with lots of water too.

Wrap in a decent plastic bag and take to the battery disposal facility at your local "tip".

Sensible behaviour , no need to over react!

Not quite sure about Li-ions. Contents not so hazardous AFAIK. main problem with them seems to be overheating and exploding if shorted or defective like the Sony ones in some laptops. But treat in the same way!

Mariner69

Visit site
Aluijten, Refueler & Vic,

Thank you for your prompt advice which is well received.

Will now instruct SWMBO accordingly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope springs eternal /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I shall do as said and take it to the local authority site. Thanks again.

Marmalade

Visit site
These things are disposable now aren't they? Everything's 30 quid. B&Q or online - drill - £30, angle grinder - £30, sander - £30. They seem to have settled on this as the disposable rate for the kit. If you're a pro, or use a tool every day or week then the premium kit is worth the investment. If, like me, you're an odd jobber - pay £30 and get another one in 12 months if it gets knackered

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
These things are disposable now aren't they? Everything's 30 quid. B&Q or online - drill - £30, angle grinder - £30, sander - £30. They seem to have settled on this as the disposable rate for the kit. If you're a pro, or use a tool every day or week then the premium kit is worth the investment. If, like me, you're an odd jobber - pay £30 and get another one in 12 months if it gets knackered

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly ... and it's usually the battery that dies anyway ... not the 'cheap' drill ! I have 3 of them still in full working order, but only one has good batterys ( case had 2 batterys in .... ). But of course even though contact design is same and chargers are interchangeable on all - the battery case design and locking is not - so cannot be used in other drills.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Battery died in my B&D 12volt so I rigged it up with wires and croc clips to connect to the domestic batteries. No charging, lots of juice but a bit irritating to trail the wires.

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Battery died in my B&D 12volt so I rigged it up with wires and croc clips to connect to the domestic batteries. No charging, lots of juice but a bit irritating to trail the wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - as I suggested in an earlier post in this thread.

One tip ... open opld battery pack ... disconnect batterys in the pack. Drill hole for lead to enter, connect that to contacts instead. Drill will then still have battery weight to balance it if you want. Otherwise remove dead cells, use case as lead in connector. Saves reasonable weight and gives good connection ... and still able to put battery - if you ever find correct replacement.

lw395

Visit site
Sometimes it's worth rebuilding a battery pack with new AA nimh cells. But you have to be a bit careful with the more modern fast chargers which are expecting a certain battery capacity.

daveyw

Visit site
""If, like me, you're an odd jobber - pay £30 and get another one in 12 months if it gets knackered "

Make sure it busts in 11 months and get it replaced free!

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it's worth rebuilding a battery pack with new AA nimh cells. But you have to be a bit careful with the more modern fast chargers which are expecting a certain battery capacity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our local market has a guy who will take a new set out of one case and fit to your old case to get it back in service ... charges you cost of the battery he carves up ... usually about a tenner + a fiver for time.