Bl**dy VAT again sorry?

fireball

Visit site
Eeek - long link!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok - under 2.2 of that a boat is not NEW if it has travelled for 100 hours under it's own power or is 3 months old ... hmm - I think a small fee to manufacturers to play on your new boat for 101 hours would be in order ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif either that or the manufacturer should use every boat as a demo boat for 3 months if the new purchaser so wishes.

I assume this is another Labour tax ....

rickp

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Eeek - long link!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok - under 2.2 of that a boat is not NEW if it has travelled for 100 hours under it's own power or is 3 months old ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, its 3 months old and 100 hours.

Trimmed the link a little too, sorry about that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rick

fireball

Visit site
Damm ... missed the AND ... ah well!

So ... if I get this right ...

if I were able to purchase a new boat from within the EU - from the manufacturer (or dealer in that country) then I'd have to pay VAT in that EU country and then VAT again when I "import" it into the UK. ... ok - reading down a bit further you can claim the VAT back .. well - you can if you purchased it in the UK and exported to another EU member state ...

Jeeze - they like to make life straight forward don't they!! Do you think the government would be a lot cheaper to run if they just forgot all these little extra if's and but's and just said - Pay VAT in the EU and you don't pay here ... ?

peterb26

www.theblundells.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Damm ... missed the AND ... ah well!

So ... if I get this right ...

if I were able to purchase a new boat from within the EU - from the manufacturer (or dealer in that country) then I'd have to pay VAT in that EU country and then VAT again when I "import" it into the UK. ... ok - reading down a bit further you can claim the VAT back .. well - you can if you purchased it in the UK and exported to another EU member state ...

Jeeze - they like to make life straight forward don't they!! Do you think the government would be a lot cheaper to run if they just forgot all these little extra if's and but's and just said - Pay VAT in the EU and you don't pay here ... ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly correct. (As I know to my cost!). However, if you knew that you were going to import it back into the UK at the point you bought the boat, then you can file the NMT (new means of transport) form with the boat-dealer selling you the boat and get exemption from the VAT in the country selling it.

This is my (sorry) saga. Only I found out the hard way.....

Strictly, the boat seller should ask you for a copy of the receipt for VAT being paid back when you get back to the UK as that completes the transaction. He can then put that with his NMT form and his VAT ZERO invoice and show his local VAT man that he is squeaky clean and has ensured that the VAT did get paid after you filed the NMT.

As you say - dont they make things bloody difficult, and to my mind it makes a mockery of the European <span style="color:red"> ECONOMIC </span> Community. Its worse than the days before the EEC!!