Bit breezy?

Garold

Visit site
Steady 27 knots with gusts over 30kn in the solent according to Bramblemet. Happy we're not out. Doesn't seem to stop the racers though. And a surprising number of others too. Even seen a few canoeists out.

However, sat here in Port Hamble eating my bacon sarnie, I feel happy that we came back to the berth yesterday evening.

Boat manoevering looks a bit tricky too, especially with the big tide and the river current. Hope my bow fenders protect us.

Cheers

Garold

TSB240

Visit site
I have given up and gone back home. Force 7 sideways on to pile moorings didnt add up to a good nights sleep.

Just stopped off to look at Caernarfaon Bar in a south westerley gale. Even the surfers have said it is too rough.

Iain C

Visit site
I have to say we had a CRACKING sail today. We'd gone to a BBQ at Island Harbour yesterday and had to make the short hop back to Gosport today. Getting off the berth at Island Harbour in 30 knots was, erm, interesting, but manageable. Out into the Solent and we unrolled half the genoa only and hammered it back downwind in bright sunshine, peak speed 6.8 knots which is not bad for a Sabre 27 with only half a headsail out! We saw gusts on the tactick of 30 knots apparent, and that was with a bit of tide under us and on a run...that's breezy!

I'll post some video...great day but I have to say if it had been upwind it would not have been funny (and we would not have gone to the IoW in the first place!)

Clive

Visit site
I was out in the Solent on Sunday, Excellent sail. Set of from Chi marina on Saturday for the Folley, nice dinner, live music, dancing on the tables etc.

Planned to leave just after low water Sunday morning so journey back to Chi would be with both wind & tide, easy sail with flatish water. Un planned but an extra bonus was the brilliant sunshine.

Good plan that came together, resulting is an excellent sail.

It is usually not the strength of the wind but we size and shape of the wave that can give you problems.

Max wind speed 32kns true, just before arriving at West pole.

tobermoryphil

Visit site
Two trees down in the field behind my house. Odd twigs and the occasional branch going past the window. Cruise ships Hebridean Princess and National Geographic Explorer seem reluctant to leave the harbour.
You could say it is a tad breezy!

ValleyForge

Visit site
Bit worried about the mainsail on the boom, the boom crutch pole isn't terribly stout so popped down this morning to take the sails off before the main gale arrives. Bit wet (ie torrential) & blowy. every now & again the zodiac, fastened to the stern took to the air like a kite. Probably F6 gusting 7-8, much worse now back at home, warm cuppa in hand.

Mighty impressive pic PHB, don't think you'd get out to those moorings today.

Visit site
Phoned DRB marine at Rosneath just about the time you took the video .and Jean said that things were very bad across at Rhu. We are on the relatively sheltered side of the loch from you.

At home in Dumfries we have just lost a silver birch in the last 10 minutes. Fortunately it fell up the lawn and not on the house. I think the guy across the back has damaged the roots. He put in a big fence about 3 weeks ago and seemed to do an inordinate amount of digging for the posts right beside our boundary where the tree was.

NormanS

Visit site
Phoned DRB marine at Rosneath just about the time you took the video .and Jean said that things were very bad across at Rhu. We are on the relatively sheltered side of the loch from you.

At home in Dumfries we have just lost a silver birch in the last 10 minutes. Fortunately it fell up the lawn and not on the house. I think the guy across the back has damaged the roots. He put in a big fence about 3 weeks ago and seemed to do an inordinate amount of digging for the posts right beside our boundary where the tree was.

If the roots are in his ground, he can do what he likes with them.:D

Visit site
Don't worry too much about a silver birch. They have shortish lives and new ones grow quickly. OK for firewood once dry (although it burns a bit quickly for my liking) but otherwise not much value in the timber, unless it was big and you have a plywood mill nearby.

No - it's for the fireplace after the son in law gets to work with the chainsaw. They do leave a lot of brushwood though. It was a nice specimen.

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
Birch is great. It's mad hot but burns a bit quick. The bark pulls off and make fantastic kindling.
Don't leave it on the ground as it rots amazingly quickly.

If you only had Birch and Oak you'd be well set up.